• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any 02Ers In Nw Ohio, Michigan, E. Wisc., Etc?

KFunk
Go to solution Solved by Dave3x72tii,

Hi All,

Friday I'm heading up north past Toledo, to Ann Arbor, then west to Battle Creek, then up north to Ludington for the night, then catching the ferry to Manitowoc for a wedding.

I'm gonna head back to Ohio via Chicago/Indy on Monday/Tuesday.  The car should be fine and I'll pack some tools, but its the first major trip out of 'AAA Plus' range since a rebuild/5-speed, so you never know.  I'd really appreciate having a couple cell numbers from locals just in case something goes wrong. 

Thanks for any help!

Kevin

Edited by KFunk

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Hi Kevin:

First of all, good luck. If anyone can fearlessly drive a 2002 all over creation no matter what happens, it's you.  This will be devoid of the Death Valley hazard which you braved a few years back. Think of all the parts and wrenching you've showered on your '02 since then.  The road had better watch out for your BMW, not the other way around. 

Jim

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

If you crump in/near Dayton, or if you just want to stop by and chat, give me a call.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Kevin,

If you need some help or want a break from the Indiana Autobaun (I-65). I am in Lafayette and will be around.

-Jayme

76 '02 owned 20 years.....project for the last 13. I should probably be faster than the rust I'm chasing.

Arrived in Ludington, MI!  No real problems.  Just all the usual squeaks, groans, rattles, and rumbles in the car.

I went 70 to 75mph most of the way, thanks to newly raised speed limits in Ohio.  Lots of 70mph zones now.  For those that know southeast Ohio, I didn't have to drive thru Nelsonville!  Finally bypassed as of Tuesday, and blasted past at a legal 70mph.

I made an honest 27+ MPG on the highway, which isn't too bad for 40 DCOEs which have never been re-jetted, and 292 cam. 

Jim, there's one major difference on this trip, and that's in the passenger seat!  Not sure how on her patience level when it comes to breakdowns several  states away.  As long as we get on the ferry in time tomorrow morning (5minutes from motel) and get to the cousin's wedding (right near ferry landing), then I'm in the clear. 

Also, sorry to hear that you're trying to sell the 02.  While it's a very difficult decision to make, it's good to move on to new hobbies sometimes.  I always thought Miatas were the best thing ever before, but now I've moved on of course.  Change is good, sometimes.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

The '02 is for sale, but it will give me a chance to try another model, another year; BMW that is.  No definite plans yet.  Mary has mentioned several times that she likes Mini Coopers.  Her Taurus wagon (i.e. 'touring') may have to give way to her newfound interest in Mini Coopers.

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Home safe!  No real mechanical problems, fortunately.  The car ran great.  I may end up getting a better driveshaft soon though, as the one modded by my local shop may have a few too many problems in terms of noises and such. 

There's also a long list of 'luxury' issues that I'll be forced to remedy before anymore long trips.  We'll be driving to Maine next summer, so hopefully I can get these things straightened out.

Jayme:  Sorry we didn't get to say hi.  We ended up rolling into Lafayette later than expected after fighting through Chicago traffic and tolls, and were extremely tired.  We got to the motel and went straight to sleep, then were eager to drive the remaining 5 hours home today.

Thanks all for the potential help, and happy I didn't have to use it! 

Bring a Welder

Safe and sound; that's great!  I am heading to '02berfest on Friday with the '02Group.  I'll need some good luck as well.

attachicon.gifDieterin2004.jpg       The proud owner in 2003...

Jim

Look forward to seeing you this weekend at 02berfest. And doing some catching up.

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT

Sam:  Looking forward to seeing you as well! What will you be driving this time? I posted an ad in the BMWCCA.org site and on CL today.  Overcoming inertia is not easy, but now I have it listed in several different venues.

post-9209-0-50030200-1381345419.jpg

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Sam:  Looking forward to seeing you as well! What will you be driving this time? I posted an ad in the BMWCCA.org site and on CL today.  Overcoming inertia is not easy, but now I have it listed in several different venues.

attachicon.gifDieterBMWCCAad.jpg

Jim

Probably will be in the 1600 for this trip.

See ya on Friday and looking forward to a fun weekend.

Who ever buys your car is going to get a solid example at a good price.

Sam Adams
1972 Inka 2000tii Touring, 1968 Manila 1600-2, 2001 325iT