• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration About To Commence. Need Opinions.

There are a couple of Rossion Q1 that show up at my shop for Cars and Coffee.  These cars opened my eyes to the newer Ford engines. They push 450 at the wheels with twin turbos on a 3.0L Ford engine.  The all aluminum 3.8/9  v6 engines with a rwd trans from a mustang or ranger are making around 200 hp and have a compact form factor.  I seriously considered doing the math on getting one of these into my car with just the stock injection...

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Modest tweaking on an M10 (slightly hotter cam, like a 284, some higher compression pistons and a nice 2bbl Weber) will yield 115-120 DIN hp or so and will give you a nice boost in power over stock, without compromising either the car's originality or its balance. The latter is part of a 2002's charm.

This was posted earlier. This is the best advice he or I can give you. Exactly what I did on my newly restored 02. It sounds sweet and has some serious "gideeyap". Don't ruin the feel or true intention of the car. This will work very nicely for you. 

Pretty sure an S14 would make the 2002 a rocket. 200 crank hp in the top end of a rev happy light engine, oh yeah that would be quick!

Im shooting for about 260 crank (hopefully have a diff built by than) by running a lightly modded M20B25 and a 50 shot of nitrous. The low end torque will definitelt be nice as I usually drive the cars in the rocky mountains, so passing will be just a nice roll on the throttle.

For the price of an M20 donor car you can squeeze what, an extra 20 crank hp out of a tired M10? Modest budget and looking for more power, id either go turbo a m10 or m4x engine, or do the baby six.

Unless you really want to compete and need the stock engine i just dont see big carbs on an m10 with a crazy hot cam being a good decent road car. It would sound killer, but my an m20 or turbo would run it into the ground and still be more comfortable

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

Becuase they're rather expensive I think. And in all honesty (though it probably makes a huge difference being in an 02) the S14 isn't all that fast. Maybe the EVO's are?

expensive for an S14?  oh yeah. expensive and getting scarce.

S14 not all that fast?  ahhh, pretty sure none of the other drivers on tracks with me would say that.... B)

however....on the street, an M20 or M42 has more useable range.  key is useable. you have to be in the 5-7.5k rpm range for the S14 to come alive.  perfect for track use.  not perfect for street.

2xM3

M42, plenty of power DOHC, timing chain VS m20 Timing belt(not hating on the M20 I have one in my 323), smoother than the stock carbed M10, modern EFI and gets over 30 MPG all day doing 80+ MPH, that's what i went with and I have no regrets. plus replacement engines could be had for as little as 300-$400

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)

1975 M42 Swap (work in progress)

expensive for an S14? oh yeah. expensive and getting scarce.

S14 not all that fast? ahhh, pretty sure none of the other drivers on tracks with me would say that.... B)

however....on the street, an M20 or M42 has more useable range. key is useable. you have to be in the 5-7.5k rpm range for the S14 to come alive. perfect for track use. not perfect for street.

I should have clarified... in an M3 it doesn't feel so fast (but man do they handle!) even with the 4.10 gearing they had. In a car nearly 1K pounds lighter? probably pretty impressive. ;)

I should have clarified... in an M3 it doesn't feel so fast (but man do they handle!) even with the 4.10 gearing they had. In a car nearly 1K pounds lighter? probably pretty impressive. ;)

weight difference more like 300-500lbs.  around town the M3 does not feel fast as you are never in the power band, but it sure does on a track (even stock).  ref back to my comments about the s14 vs m20.  applies to the E30 as well as 02 swap.

2xM3