• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Cut Out On Freeway And Won't Restart

golf73

Back to the car crappin on the freeway, mine did the exact same thing, only diff is mine would barely restart and then die as soon as accelerator was pushed, really thought I had blown a head gasket until I cracked the secondary on my 32-36, ran like a champ when I opened and closed the secondary, go figure?.........Turns out the accelerator pump seal had blown out and was allowing way too much air in the primary, the fix, visted C.D.s neighb and sold him another submergable clorine dispenser, promptly picked up the phone to AutoPartsWarehouse, ordered a real Redline 38 special, 36 hours later it was delivered and drove her to work next am, Again I am bashing Carbsunlimited,com.............. Go Redline or buy it twice, like I did

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

You should be able to unplug the tach wire from the coil and see if it fires up. And if it does then you just need to find the short in that wire.

If i unplug the wire won't that be the same as it having a bad ground? I'm just going to pull the instrument panel and check the connection. I'll replace the burnt out dash bulbs while i'm in there. If that doesnt work I'm going to attempt putting in points and condenser and setting the timing (wish me luck). I have a feeling i may need a few screws that used to be in the dizzy that held in the points n condenser??? i no longer have them since the shop "upgraded" my ignition. 

btw, i had the car towed back to A-1 Imports in San Rafael, JP said it was "a bad wire to the distributor". I drove the car home Friday night and it broke down on the 101S in the rain a few miles from his shop. I'm through with that place. STAY AWAY FROM THAT SHOP.

just pulled the instrument panel - the tach wire connector looks just fine. all other connections back there look ok. the two black wires coming from it look fine. there is white overspray on the panel surround...might have been swapped in from a chamonix car. eh who cares, riiiiiight? now looking for the 10 osram dash bulbs that i bought, no luck yet. gotta dig through a few bins again. any other grounds or connections i should check???? before i attempt to install the points/condenser i bought and try to set timing. i now realize i need some sealant for the new valve cover gasket i bought as well,,, what type should i go buy? i have the day off tomorrow and will have some time to do more troubleshooting. i still don't understand how a wire to the distributor, which was a brand new Ireland distributor could be the problem, unless it wasn't really "new"...the only wires going there are for the piece of shit fake pertronix that goes with it. thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. i've spent $750 in towing so far because of what has happened since my car left A-1 Imports when this all started.

With the backfire I would check to make sure that the ignition timing is set properly, maybe the distributor hold down didnt get tightened enough and it let the distributor spin just a few degrees. As for the valve cover sealant go to your local parts store and ask for hondas sealant they use on transmissions, or equivalant, it dries really fast and is the best sealer I've used. Rite-stuff is good also but I've taken stuff apart after months and it still wasnt dry just my opinion though.