• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many Original Owners On The Board?

Mike Self

I wonder how many folks on the board still have the 2002 they bought new "back in the day."   It would be fun to collect stories and place 'em in a blog or someplace on the board for newer owners to enjoy. 

And a suggestion--any interest in an "original owner" grille badge?  I'm no artist, but I'll bet someone here could come up with a good design.  Nice enamel badges are available at pretty reasonable prices these days, so getting some made wouldn't be a big deal. 

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike,

I certainly wouldn't object to contributing to such a blog, as I LOVE to share tales -- although, as a rule, they are too long -- of being a true believer in an era when most people thought "BMW" stood for British Motor Works or was a subsidiary of VW.

Did I ever tell you my "Lowered Front Seats" story? OK, it is a bit tedious....I'll save it!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Mike,

I certainly wouldn't object to contributing to such a blog, as I LOVE to share tales -- although, as a rule, they are too long -- of being a true believer in an era when most people thought "BMW" stood for British Motor Works or was a subsidiary of VW.

Did I ever tell you my "Lowered Front Seats" story? OK, it is a bit tedious....I'll save it!

Regards,

Steve

Steve:

+1 on the British Motor Works reference.  No shortage of people believing that was what BMW stood for when the 2002's first came out.

I have a couple of good stories from back in the day as well!

Regards, Maurice.

IIRC, one of the Year 2002 Roundels included a neat article about original 2002 owners.  It might have been the December 2002 issue that also included a wonderful resource with VIN changes...

See Mike's article in July 2011!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I wonder how many folks on the board still have the 2002 they bought new "back in the day."   It would be fun to collect stories and place 'em in a blog or someplace on the board for newer owners to enjoy. 

And a suggestion--any interest in an "original owner" grille badge?  I'm no artist, but I'll bet someone here could come up with a good design.  Nice enamel badges are available at pretty reasonable prices these days, so getting some made wouldn't be a big deal. 

mike

My car was bought new by my dad in 73, and given to me last fall.  Technically no longer original owner, but pretty god-damn close genetically.

No mysteries on the history of the car.  I know the story behind every scratch and dent. Nothing major, fastest lap and fastest average lap in 1974 at a Mosport BMW driving school, the pride of many american muscle cars bruised on the highway, 1980 vandilism (windows and dash replaced), one freak hail storm (dent removal and overspray), one key to the trunk paint (would not fiully buff out), one stollen battery returned two days later after threat to local kids, one passanger sun visor chewed by family dog (replaced), one metal oil funnel dropped on head cover causing small scratch, one wiper fluid bottle dropped on hot exhaust manifold (hole repaired by me).  one blown ring (triggered first and only total engine and suspension rebuild), one glorious track weekend where I caught veteran drivers in a boxter and passed a Z4 (and generally held my own against the likes of modern M3's and 911 turbos), two c-clips from timing chain master link found in oil  (one lucky owner as chain held). 

Edited by gliding_serpent

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

It may be "splitting hairs", a bit, but I consider myself to be an original owner of my late father's 2002A. After all, I was the one who pointed it out to him (I was dropping my '71 2002 off for servicing and he was giving me a lift home), as it sat in the dealer's wash bay that evening, waiting to have the cosmoline washed off and the new car servicing done to it. I could tell it was an unusual color (Tundra), which we hadn't seen before on an '02 and I knew it was going to look really sharp with the tan interior.

I don't think Dad even waited for them to clean it up, before he bought it. Of course, he didn't tell me he'd bought it until it was time to go in and pick it up. And, yes, I rode to the dealer with him, to pick up the new 2002. He liked the look of the alloy wheels, which were coming through on Bavarias and 2800 CSs/3.0 CSs, so he asked the dealer parts guy if he could get those wheels in 13", for his car. They were on the car when we picked it up. He also had the Frigi King AC installed.

Dad and I spent most of the next weekend on the road, in his new '02, putting on some good break-in miles. I've got a lot of good memories of my father and that '02. It was (and still is) a very special car for us and I still get a lot of enjoyment from driving and maintaining it (it's still almost completely original). The car has never given us the slightest bit of trouble and I wouldn't think twice about jumping in it and driving anywhere in the country.

Yeah, I wish it wasn't an automatic, but I'll never change it. It just wouldn't be right. It's been a member of the family for nearly 42 years and it will continue to be that for a whole lot longer.

Bud Osbourne

'72 2002A

'75 2002