• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking Of Selling

jrod770

I'm not quite sure whether to finish body work first, or just sell now.  Same old story, too many projects, not enough time.

The rundown:

1976 with 100,000 + miles.

Trunk, rockers, shock towers are rust free.  Doors and drivers front fender aren't pretty.  Rest of body is pretty decent, but just a little beat up.  

Under carriage stripped and painted with POR15.

New urethane bushings all around.

New IE adjustable front and rear sway bars.

New IE stage 2 springs.

New Bilstein sports.

New motor mounts.

New Bosch SR440 starter

New IE radiator/heater hose kit.

Recently cleaned and pressure tested radiator.

New IE Willwood big brake kits with plated, cross drilled rotors on the front and rear.  With operational        emergency brake.

New 15" Momo Revenge wheels

New Yokahama 195/50 15 tires

New IE ceramic coated header.

New IE stainless steel exhaust

New Esty carpet

2008 E90 heated, power seats.

New Carbon fiber hood.

I have an early bumper set I was going to convert to.

Would I be better off selling it now before I dump more money into paint, or will I have better luck in recouping some money if paint was done?  I know pics would help, but I'm currently not with the car.  Thanks for the input.

Sounds like you have spent a LOT of time and money on this restoration to this point but that the cosmetics haven't yet caught up because  it hasn't been painted.

IMO, most cars that look pretty sell more easily than the ones that don't look so good but run well.

Best to tally up the $$ you have in it now and float an ad with your asking price to see what kind of offers you get.  If the offers aren't satisfactory, you have no obligation to sell and, at that point you can make a more informed decision as to whether or not to continue with the paint.

It sure sounds like it will be one hell of a 2002 if/when it's complete, so congrats on all the work you've done so far anyway.

Regards, Maurice.

Holy cow--you've done the hard work!  If you're feeling a little burned out right now, since it's in such good shape mechanically, drive it and enjoy it--and for now don't worry about how it looks (just don't drive it in the winter salt).  Then do the bodywork a little at a time.   If you give up now, you won't get that much for all your hard work and parts, as it doesn't look pretty. 

I spent six years on and off on my '69, repairing rust, pounding out dings and getting it ready for paint.  It had so much primer on it--in five different shades-- my wife was threatening to get me a vanity plate that said "RDNKBMW"--from Jeff Foxworthy's "You may be a redneck if...the predominant color on your car is primer."

Hang in there, and enjoy it as it is--then make it pretty.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Sorry to hear you need to sell. The question is will the $3-5K+ you need to invest to finish the bodywork and paint (and more if interior needs work) be repaid when you sell? On one hand, nice to sell a complete car at a solid asking price. On the other hand, selling now "as-is" allows the buyer to pick their own color and level of finish. Sounds like you have good suspension and brakes. You need to do the calculus on what you want out of the car. Post a few pics and tell us more about the motor, interior and condition of the car. Are you under time pressure, or can you let this develop for a while?

Best of luck, Fred

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

People like shiny things. Paint the car, then drive the hell out of it. '02s are full of hell and it needs to be driven out often. Enjoy all the work time and money you've put into it.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

In too deep.  I am $22k (everything almost new) in my project and its finished, and I know I will never get my money back.  These cars are a labor of love.  If its only a few more K left, like 2002Targa is saying, you will miss your baby and all the hard work your put into it. 

post-43021-0-97070300-1382076898_thumb.j

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

If you conclude that your involvement with the car is quickly coming to an end, I suggest you sell the parts rather than the whole. There are many in the market for each individual part or system, whereas there are very few in the market for a tricked out car that needs $$$ body work. Not what you wanted to hear? Not what I wanted to tell you, but unfortunately true. I've been in your shoes, as have many, many others on this forum.

If you opt to enjoy the beast of a car you've built, and I urge you to go that route if it's within your means to do so, you'll learn to love the weathered appearance of your car, and you may decide to put off the body work indefinitely. As long as you keep the rust at bay, you can drive loud and proud forever. And by driving the car, you'll learn what to look for in your next 2002.

One final note regarding body work: after you spend $8k on prep and paint, you'll only recover a fraction of that investment if you sell, and you'll never want to drive the car or park it out of your sight if you keep it. At least that's why I haven't addressed the body work on my 2002.

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

some lessons here..

buy the best car body initially.  don't fix up a turd if you can avoid it.

and...if you are starting with a car that needs body work...DO THE BODY WORK FIRST.  get that ogre off your back before getting into all the easy fun stuff.  it is too easy to keep putting off that big expensive body work job until it never gets done.  plus...bodywork is really messy...should be done with all the old moving parts that you are replacing on the car, not all the new shiny go fast stuff.

just some thoughts....too late for OP.

2xM3

Pretty much the same thing I was thinking.  I was thinking my returns would be greater if I painted rather than just selling now.  By the way, I do my owm paint and body work, so all I have is material costs.  No, I do not need to sell the car for financial reasons, just getting a little burnt out with it.  Mlytle, car started out as a pretty rust free, non-running car that had sat outside for 6 years.  Paid $500.00.  Did all of this stuff as mock up so I didn't have to do modifications after final paint.  I've done it your way before, only to screw up freshly painted panels.   It works well for me.  I guess my garage is going to be crowded for a little while longer.