• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front License Brackets

dlhoovler

We've just moved to Ohio--another post, that--but I'm now needing to consider putting a front license plate on the Orange Car. Looking at RealOEM, there appear to be two front license brackets for chrome bumpers (for adapting a North American plate to the Euro-spaced holes in the bumper). One, which I've seen referenced more frequently here, is a simple bent piece of steel strip that Mike Self usually notes places the plate either above or below the bumper.

RealOEM, however, specifies a different bracket for my early '71 (11/70 build date). This one, 51 18 1 832 855, is shaped like a license plate but has mounting points to the bumper at its center line. Can anyone confirm that this bracket and its associated hardware in fact fits a chrome front bumper? I think I'd just as soon use it over the other model.

...or I may just throw the plate under the seat and see if I ever get hassled for it...

Thanks,

-David

Edited by dlhoovler

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Dave--since you're not near a military base where there are a lot of out-of-state plates from one plate states, your local cops will most likely be on the lookout for and hassle you for not having a front plate--although there was legisation this year to eliminate Ohio's front plates (don't know the outcome). 

Has your bumper been drilled for standard US front plates in addition to the original wide-spaced holes for Euro plates?  If so what I did was take a piece of fairly heavy (1/8") aluminum sheet and cut it out to license plate size, then drill it at the center line (top to bottom) for US plate holes.  That will center the plate on the bumper, much more esthetically pleasing than having it all above or below the bumper.  You can also find all sorts of sheet metal front bumper license plate mounts in salvage yards and drill 'em appropriately to mount on your bumper.  I think the one on my '69 is from an old SAAB 99...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My '02 is different, but I got a license bracket (used) from another squaretail owner. I don't know how eager the police are to hassle us about a missing front plate. I put one in place right away.  Also, I am not sure what they do if there is no front (or rear) bumper in place...

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

22.png

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2215&mospid=47140&btnr=51_3349&hg=51&fg=20&hl=14

#s 8 & 9 (base =  51 18 1 832 855) are meant for big-bumpered cars.  Like mike said, fashion yourself something like #8 that lines up with the holes in your bumper.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

#s 8 & 9 (base = 51 18 1 832 855) are meant for big-bumpered cars.

Interesting. I wonder why RealOEM lists #9 as appropriate for my car (despite the date range), but doesn't list the other bits that I know are for big-bumper cars (like the #22 bracket). And I thought #8 was what various people here have shown on chrome-bumper cars.

I only have the holes spaced for a Euro plate; since the car was in Pennsylvania most of its life, it's never run a front plate and didn't have extra holes drilled. Guess I'll get to bending and painting some steel or aluminum strips...

-Dave

Addendum: Perhaps RealOEM reads this board, because now none of the front bases is listed for my car (the callout numbers are missing from the list). I swear #9 was listed earlier today. Strange...

Edited by dlhoovler

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Funny thing - I recently received front license plate bracket # 51 18 1 816 901 from BLUNT for my 69 (early) front bumper.

It matches the one on my 73tii.

IMG_5508.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"