• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodbye, Dieter

Jim_75Sahara

Damn Jim, I hate to see you sell...but as the other guys mention, if the trailer's any indication, Dieter's going to a caring owner. I'll just have to find comfort in the fact that you've been an '02er for so long...once an '02er, always an '02er. I hope to still see you at events. Even if you're driving a...gulp...later model Bimmer!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

It's bittersweet.  One day, I'll likely get another '02.  So many possibilities.... 

Skip: you were one of the first to take pity on this newbie back in 2004 in Hermann, MO.  I appreciate you, Bo, Keith, & so many others.  Mary & I had a 2-car caravan to Hermann with Larry & Susan Wilson on that trip.

Napes:  we haven't met, but Dieter got a 'whole lotta love' during my stewardship.  The new owner is showing the enthusiasm needed to take this '02 to the next level.  He wanted a driver, not a wasted-away barn find. Dieter has off-road capability. Darn proud of that!

Jim Gerock:  Mary did not force the sale. No, she understood that I was restless for another old BMW. She has been supportive all the way.

Marshall:  I will allow the new owner to reveal himself.   I have a feeling that he will pop up before too long.  I was proud that Mike McCarthy's shop gave Dieter his due (when the buyer had detailed questions) -- while crediting me for wanting to sort out so many issues with this '02 and then DRIVING it, ENJOYING it.  I keep plugging Mike's shop. I swear he doesn't pay me a dime.

Edited by Jim_75Sahara

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Guess I have the only Sahara 02 in Dayton now.  Ludwig and Wolfgang are gonna miss Dieter...Jim, I'm glad you found him a good new home.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Jim,

Congrats on the sale and knowing your car will be in appreciative hands.  Enjoyed drinking those cold ones at the gathering in Eureka Springs two years ago.  Looking forward to doing the same again in the future.

Earl

74 02 Lux

02 M roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Earl:  I'll second that. It will be fun to ride shotgun at Eureka Springs. I did that in 2010 with Sam Adams.

Mike:  Decided that I am not a 'forever' owner.  Kept my '02 2x as long as my father did.

Karl:  I will need to drive your tii again one day.  Eager to see your former 1600-2 when Jake gets it completed.

Gatopescado: I don't follow you.  Explain....

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Best wishes to one of the nicest and most warm car guys ever...

See you around as you cross more cool old cars off your bucket list!

Happy motoring Jim!

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Jim, congratulations on finding a good home for a well-loved car. As someone who went 02less for a couple of years (and ended up buying back a beloved car from my past), I can relate to that soon-to-come "phantom limb" feeling you may be experiencing.

Best of luck. And based on the many heart-felt comments in this thread, you've developed quite a few friendships along the way. Well done... 

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

Not much to explain. I found my Sahara parked and left in a field of sticker bushes, withering in the sun. Rotten Recaros and a dash with more cracks than a plumber's convention. I've put a couple hundred into it since the purchase, but have been driving the heck out of it as is since.

Its a loooong way from looking like Dieter.