• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodbye, Dieter

Jim_75Sahara

Aaron:  Right back at you. Too bad we don't live closer together. I'll try to get to Ark. next April...

Paul:  Thanks for the kind words.  It's been a lot of fun so far. I'll see what's in store for me next.

Gatopescado:  Thanks! You've got the right idea: barn-find, pasture-find... drive the beejeebers out of it on a tiny budget. FUN!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I would like to thank Jim for taking such good care of the car I purchased. My name is Simon and I am a long time 02 fan . Although I have owned several other BMW's along the way the 2002 has always caught my eye as one I would like to own one day . Jim was very honest about the car and I know he will miss him . I am a driver and this is very much a drivers car. The hardest thing for me to get used to with the car is that its a him and not a her . I will get used to that, and his name will be Dieter as long as I own him.

Hey Simon!!  I am very glad that you popped up on the FAQ. I didn't want to twist your arm too much, but you'd miss out if you did not get on the FAQ.  I did not think that I should introduce you unless you were ready to make an appearance on your own.  Yeah, this is great! I won't lose track of you or my (former) '02 - nice!

Simon, you were straight with me -- kudos to you as well. You have my blessing if you put on humongous tires or a hotter cam, or whatever. HE is yours now!  You must be safe. you must have fun. Those are your orders!

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Hey Simon!!  I am very glad that you popped up on the FAQ. I didn't want to twist your arm too much, but you'd miss out if you did not get on the FAQ.  I did not think that I should introduce you unless you were ready to make an appearance on your own.  Yeah, this is great! I won't lose track of you or my (former) '02 - nice!

Simon, you were straight with me -- kudos to you as well. You have my blessing if you put on humongous tires or a hotter cam, or whatever. HE is yours now!  You must be safe. you must have fun. Those are your orders!

:)

Awwwww!

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Jim:

If it weren't for buying some insignificant part from you 5 years ago I'd never have made it on your email list and to the 2nd annual RGB ridge run. I'm very thankful that our paths crossed and am sad to see Dieter go, but am glad everything worked out for the best. I hope to see you soon at some RGB function or otherwise!

Simon:

Welcome to the family. You've picked an outstanding car to start 02'ing. I hope to meet you soon and see you and Dieter around!

Edited by dasfrogger

No big tires or hotter cam LOL . I have race cars . Pertronix to replace the points . A set of Ireland sway bars to slow the body roll a little bit. That's it . The car is very well sorted and needs very little . Its an absolute hoot to drive. Im not sure that putting in the five speed might not take away some of the character of the car. I guess I will have to take him on a long trip to see .

Bill Williams:  If money were no object, I'd have gone for the show-quality look of yours. (But you earned that look, that feel with hard work, so well done.)   Well, I definitely got a lot in regards to fun, reliability and safety over the years.  I'll be around; thanks, Bill.

Simon:  Ooops,  I did sound gushy.  You're already having fun. Das ist gut.

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Ray, your sincerity is awe inspiring>>

:)

Awwwww!

Cheers,

Ray

Jim, were those my beers you where drinking in eureka two years ago??

Sorry you are 02less.  All things end for the best I guess, you'll be back.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

It will be weird not having Dieter around.  Jim and I took Dieter up to South Bend to hit the Studebaker museum there.  Must have spent 10 hours in that car.  Dieter is great as is, but those euro bumpers on squaries sure look nice.

Here's a pic of Dieter and my car at Fuel.  No doubt an RGB event - spring drive, I think.

Hope to see Dieter again at some point.  Welcome aboard, Simon.

Scott

post-34981-0-60561400-1382884091_thumb.j

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Ahem. 

For the record, I am serving as 2002 newbie support. (Hi Simon)  The car is in a great new home.  I look fwd to meeting Simon, as we have spent some good amount of time on the horn thus far. I am pleased to be able to consult.  - he is really giving the car some good attention.  And Dieter has a new lease on life with a very competent new owner!

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Hi Jim,

I am a little surprised but maybe this will give me the strength to sell mine one day.

It sound like you might be focusing on your e30 now?  Or are you thinking of an M3 or such?  I totally understand as I sold my 318ti because I was developing two track cars, now I can focus back on just one.

I got my ass kicked at Putnam Park.  Need more HP.  So maybe a HiPo head from Metric and the side drafts for sale on the FAQ.

Peace,

Ray Daley

Ray,  Current BMWs, 1973 BMW 2002, Turkis, and 1997 BMW 318i 5sp avus blue.  Drove a lot and sold over the years, in reverse chron.

1997 m3 coupe silver, 1998 318ti red, 1996 318ti red,

1973 2002 Agave, 1971 2002  GM brown

Ray:  I had been spending more money on the E30 trying to sort it out. It works great now, as long as you don't expect a/c.  I've also spent a lot more time driving the 325. My '02 was sitting too much.  Ten years is a decent time to own an '02.  I am transitioning into something.... not sure what it is yet. I'll look at any BMW that catches my eye.  If you know of a 318ti with the Sport or the Active pkg. that would be of interest.

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

• 1 year later...

I am having random '02 dreams lately.   - - The most recent one had me driving a very messy, disheveled  Dieter to some RGB get-together.  I had not done anything to get ready, so the car and myself were in a funk.  For some reason, I stopped the car. It promptly started to roll away from me.  Naturally, (in dream world) I grabbed the '02 by the rear bumper and pulled it back to where it had been parked.  Dieter was running very poorly, was full of rubbish and was quite dirty. I did not know how to get to the gtg either.    Whaaaat??

Another dream had me at my (not real) luxurious mid-1960s era rambling dream home on a hill with at least a 5 acre wood around it.  For some reason, I was strolling through a fruit orchard and throwing peach pits into a creek bed. I came around to the garage end of my house.  So, then some weasel of a man rushes up to me talking about buying my 2002.  I started to tell him that I don't own one any longer.  A quick glance into my huge four car garage -- and there is a very nice short-bumper roundie in either Manila or Chamonix.  I was impressed that I had somehow nabbed such a lovely gem.  I gave the weasel the brush off and then I woke up....

It must mean something or other.

Edited by Denker

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz