• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Expansion Tank Plastic Hose Fittings -- Help!

Solarphil

What's the best trick on getting the little plastic elbows (part# 34321102282, #14 below) into the hose leading up to the expansion tank without totally buggering them up?

post-41189-0-16566600-1383370458_thumb.p

Here's a pix of both the old and the new: 

post-41189-0-59748700-1383370403_thumb.j

The plastic elbows are likely too fragile to just cram 'em in.  I'm hesitant to use grease or other lube, for fear that it will get into the braking system.  Besides, the size difference is such that I don't think lubrication will do the trick by itself.  Soften the hose with heat?  Soak it in hot water?  

Suggestions welcome.  

Phil

1987 E28 535is -- Buttercup

1974 2002tii -- Pretty Penny

1994 E34 M5 -- Horehund

2001 E36/7 M Roadster -- Shaggy

You can also use silicone grease on the plastic elbows...it won't negatively react with either brake fluid or the rubber parts in your braking system...

mike

PS--it's always a good idea to have one or two spare elbows around, as they are easy to break with new, and more so as they age...it's one of those little parts that will make your car undriveable while you wait for a new one to come in the mail.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It seems like your pushing too hard, and then POP... they go right in. I broke mine, and used an autoparts store replacement elbow (which worked) but when I got the new ones, like you, I was worried that they would break with as much force as I was using.

Like the others have said, a little brake fluid and a twisting motion is the best, they'll go in eventually. Just make sure they are down all the way.

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car