• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bled Brakes...no Fluid From Passenger Rear

Beach_Bum

So I went to bleed my brakes today, and wouldn't you know it, no fluid from the passenger rear drum. All the others bled fine.

I'm guessing I have a clogged line somewhere. The short line coming directly out of the caliper looks new, so the culprit is most likely further down the system. How difficult of a job is it to change the rear brake lines. I don't have access to a lift...just some jack stands and my garage floor.

Edited by Beach_Bum

When were the brakes last bled?

Personally I'd use both feet on the pedal to try to clear the line, with 10 or 15psi from a pressure bleeder applied.

GL,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

check for fluid by loosening the connection at the front of the flexible line.

the hose can look fine, but swell shut on the inside.

When were the brakes last bled?

Personally I'd use both feet on the pedal to try to clear the line, with 10 or 15psi from a pressure bleeder applied.

GL,

Thanks to both. I'll try both techniques.

I've buttoned everything back up for now, and I don't have much fluid left, so I'll have to get more. If I open that connection at the flexible line, do I need to bleed the whole system again, or just that caliper?

Edited by Beach_Bum

If you're using a pressure bleeder I've found working on trailers that sometimes the 20 psi (that's what we use) wont always push crap through the line. Sometimes you just gotta have someone hit the brakes full force while you have the bleeder open. I've also seen both hard and soft lines clog up. More soft than hard. Even had it happen on my 02 I think, I just replaced everything up front cause it needed it...

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

As implied above, I'd begin by disconnecting the flex line at the drum brake rear brake cylinder and see if you're getting fluid that far.  If so, then you can remove the drum and check the brake cylinder.  Some good info here:

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/rearbrakes.html

Might be a good time to install some flexible, short, braided stainless lines at each end in all four corners.

Bob Napier

As implied above, I'd begin by disconnecting the flex line at the drum brake rear brake cylinder and see if you're getting fluid that far.  If so, then you can remove the drum and check the brake cylinder.  Some good info here:

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/rearbrakes.html

Might be a good time to install some flexible, short, braided stainless lines at each end in all four corners.

Bob Napier

there are no flex lines at the brake cyl on drum brake cars. it is a hard line that runs along the trailing arm.  there is a flex line on front of trailing arm.  these are a pita to replace, so there is a chance the PO did not replace it...it could be really old and swollen shut internally. basically, if you are not getting fluid to one side, there is a limited range of things that could be bad. the circuit is isolated between the "T" fitting above the subframe and the wheel cylinder.

but if you pull the hard line off the brake cyl and get fluid, you may have a bad bleed valve on the brake cyl or a really foul cyl.

my bet is the rubber part of the line. as i think Bob said, good time to replace all the rubber lines in the system. stock rubber parts recommended.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3