• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Light Switch Wiring

7602inBrooklyn
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

Please see the attached pic. Happend to notice this on my 76 when I was checking the oil today. It appears that I should have the other spade attached to the brake light switch. but the brake lights function correctly as is. In the realm of leaving well enough alone I didn't connect it. I looked at the wiring diagram but that was no help. 

Should I connect this to the other spade on the switch? 

post-41466-0-27616300-1383536643_thumb.j

76 2002 Fjord Sunroof AC

90 VW Vanagon (Ford repowered)

and my daily commuter: a Bicycle!

Well, I'll be honest, I don't quite know what that is in your picture, but I don't think it's your brake light switch.  The brake light switch should be back by the firewall behind the brake booster, where the linkage coming up from the pedal box meets the booster linkage.  Really no guess as to what that is in your picture though. . . :\

-Carl

I assumed it was a pressure switch in the hydraulic system for the lights, but yes I suppose it might be a failure sender. I had no idea there was a failure warning light. Where is the light? 

The sender is next to the master cylinder in what seems to be a brake system manifold. I suppose I could just hook it up and see what happens. 

76 2002 Fjord Sunroof AC

90 VW Vanagon (Ford repowered)

and my daily commuter: a Bicycle!

• Solution

The switch in your original picture is unique to the '76s, and warns the driver of unequal braking effort in the two hydraulic circuits, which would happen if there's a leak or other problem in one, which would cause lower pressure in that circuit.  If that switch detects a pressure differential, it will cause your dashboard brake warning light to illuminate, giving it three functions on a '76:  low brake fluid, e-brake on and pressure differential.  

The disconnected wire in your picture seems to be brown, which means it's a ground wire for something...and it may be that differential switch...a PO may have unplugged it to turn the warning light off.  There's actually a reset button on the fixture somewhere to turn the light off if it stays on after you fix the problem....

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite