• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Messy Job This Weekend

Stuart

Removing old sound deadening(sp?) material from the underside of my hood ahead of a steam cleaning. 

Goggles  - check

Sheet to cover engine -  check

Mask for the dust - check

Park car in street - will do

Gloves - ??

Anything else?

I'l go after the leftover glue after the steam cleaning.

Stuart

I used a cheap plastic paint scraper and did it when there was no wind.  The foam just crumbled and fell straight on the cardboard I had covering the engine area.  Dumped it in the trash.  Done in 30 minutes but note that I have not tried to get the factory glue residue off the hood.

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

There are several ways discussed on the board to remove the factory glue.  Not sure which I will go with.  Going to have the whole compartment, engine and underside of the hood steam cleaned before I go after the glue.  We'll see.

The glue is the hard part...I used some kerosene (and also paint thinner) to soften the glue, then very carefully worked it loose with a plastic putty knife--and my fingernails!  Had sore fingers for several days afterwards!  

If the paint is original, you can probably get away with using carburetor cleaner; try a small spot first to make sure it won't soften the paint.  I used carb cleaner and paper towels to get the last of the residue off and it didn't hurt the (original) paint at all.  

Regardless, it's a messy job.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This product worked great for the adhesive residue. Let it sit overnight with Saran Wrap on it to keep from drying out. You may have to apply it a few times to get it all.

Probably can get it from NAPA. The 16oz container was enough for my hood.

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-tape-and-residue-remover-35975-16-oz.html

GL

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

taken the hood off is the easy way, chems puddle sit and work much better, carb cleaner and plastic scapers got my bits off, project creep when swappin motorvators

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

3 M General Adhesive Cleaner # 08984 in qt. can with squeeze  tip with disp. shop towels, paper towels and plastic scraper worked great for me. May be less $$ than the other 3 M suggested above 

CarlkkinMadCity

'74 ex-malaga 8 yr. driving restoration

4-spd, recaros, front bbk, I.E. bars+.s.exhaust. heater refurb(thanks Kieth), total motor rebuild 175 mi ago

(thanks Steve P., Jeff I.)

Mike -

I'm having the engine, engine bay and underside of the hood steam cleaned after the initial removal.  This might be good for the more difficult to remove glue after the steam cleaning. Where did you pick it up? 

Stuart

This product worked great for the adhesive residue. Let it sit overnight with Saran Wrap on it to keep from drying out. You may have to apply it a few times to get it all.

Probably can get it from NAPA. The 16oz container was enough for my hood.

http://www.shop3m.com/3m-tape-and-residue-remover-35975-16-oz.html

GL

Don

Is Saran Wrap a 3M product?

;-)

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Toluene solvent.  Available everywhere as far as I know.  Use outdoors and wear protective gloves.  Toluene can be used to thin contact cement, which is basicly what is on your hood.  Once Toluene meets the adhesive it starts to soften it.  A couple of wet rubs should reduce the adhesive to goo.

73 Inka Tii #2762958