• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Work

mlcrum
Go to solution Solved by Hans,

I need to pull the 5 speed tranny out of my 73 02 to replace a seal and work on the shifter then reinstall. I plan to use a local shop with years of experience in 02s. What's a reasonable amount of labor hours to expect? Labor rates are high so I am trying to establish what is a reasonable expectation.

Why are you pulling the transmission? I believe that work can be done with it in - removing exhaust and driveshaft provide access. Unless you are doing front seal. If you take it out, I'd do them all.

Edited by Hans

Are you going to remove the transmission yourself then take it to a shop?  If so, then you can easily replace the seals yourself.  Replacing the seals on the 4 and 5 speed transmissions is pretty easy.   Hardest part is removing and replacing the transmission.

If you are not able to R&R the transmission, then hopefully some of the NC-based 02 folks will chime in on a reputable shop.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks everyone. Fairly confident it's the input seal but wont really know until it is apart. The drip is coming from the bottom front opening of the bell housing. I removed the lower plate and the fluid appears to be running down the side of the bell housing then out the bottom. I plan to have a local shop do the work. Just trying to frame up the amount of labor hours.

Smell it.

If it stinks, its trans fluid, and that's a trans R&R, plus no more than an additional hour to clean up

the bell housing and  replace the front seal itself.

If it doesn't stink, it's motor oil, and that's the rear main seal, and that's a trans R&R, plus an additional hour or so to replace the seal itself.

However, if they're going in, might as well replace both, since a reasonable R&R time for the trans is probably 3 hrs on a lift,

plus exhaust gasket, plus maybe a guibo and center bearing if they're older...

This is why I live with smaller leaks, myself.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Further to TobyB's input, I'd want to confirm which seal is leaking, altho if its coming down the rear of the bell housing, that sounds like the trans. That would be determined by monitoring fluid levels. However, since one of them is leaking I'd also have a rear engine seal on hand. Tempting to do it while you're in there. But that starts major scope creep - how old is your clutch?

We are fairly confident it is tranny fluid based on odor and level. We will have a main seal on hand as well. The clutch is fairly new. The car was restored a few years ago but was in storage for most of the time and has very low mileage. Lack of activity appears to be the culprit. I anticipated some issues would surface when I bought the car. It's a high end restoration and just trying to get it right. Thanks for all the input. It helps to sort through the possibilities.