• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slow Clutch Release In 1St Problem

downhillwolf

Hello,

i have a problem with slowly relesing the clutch with almost no throttle and car is feeling like one wheel is slipping. Altought this is not happening.
Did anyone had similar problems?
My guilbo joint looks like new...
Also engine bushings are working well, what about halfaxle?

Is checking the halfaxle with a pipe clamp and see if there is any loosen joint?

Best regards

Blaz

A little clarification:  is the problem that the clutch pedal is sticking when you release it, or is the clutch disk itself slow to engage when the pedal is released?  

If you have a 1600 or other model with a mechanical clutch linkage (vs hydraulic) I'd check the linkage for wear and lack of lubrication.  

And those mechanical linkages (and early 2002s built until March 1969) have an adjustment for the clutch linkage even though it's hydraulic.

If the problem is that after you release the clutch pedal, there's a delay before the rear wheels begin to move, then I'd check all the wear points in the drivetrain, starting at the back axle:  CV joints, inboard and outboard, then differential, rear driveshaft U-joint, center U-joint, guibo and finally the output shaft flange on the back side of the gearbox.  There were some 72 and 73 cars with poorly heat-treated output flanges, and the splines wear, allowing the retaining nut to loosen.  The splines will eventually fail.

Hope that helps.

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

And if it's a hydraulic clutch, that rubber tube (if yours is rubber) will close up and give you a primitive clutch delay valve right there.

In 3rd, if you accelerate hard, do the revs rise before the car accelerates?   (as in, is the clutch slipping?)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

No the clutch is not slipping. With normal relase when rpm is around 1500-2000 there is no problem. Problem is when in release it slowely with almost no throttle. Like 1000-1300 rpm. It feels like one wheel is on slippery surface that is slipping and again not slipping(a few times that in a second).
Im guessing that i have loosen halfaxle(CV-joint) and when it tries to slowely start in 1st gear this loosen bit is tyring to cooperate with other wheel and when i start fast there is no room for this loosen part because the momentum is shared on both axles...
This is like if there is too much space between 2 gears. When you apply momentum then averithing is ok because there is anough momentum to not shake form one gear tooth to next.
The car is 1975 2002 EU with hidraulic clutch that is not slippery or even worn.

Edited by downhillwolf

Best regards

Blaz

Crawl under your car and check the Allen head bolts that hold the rear axle shafts to the output flanges on the differential--they have a habit of coming loose, and can cause the symptoms you describe.  Eventually the bolts will either fall out or shear, then you won't go anywhere!  I found that out the hard way leaving work one afternoon...

If you find loose bolts reinstall but use Locktite on the threads so they won't back out again.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm wondering if it isn't the clutch. With more revs, any imperfections are masked. At idle, its more evident. I'd expect loose/worm driveshaft components to make a clunk but not chatter. Loose CV joint bolts would make a noise too - until they snap. The rear cross member to body bushings do wear, but I'm not sure if they would create the slip-grab-slip feeling. However, a thorough inspection under the car would be wise.