• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Opinion Please...a Wire Contacting Rad.tank..

jrkoupe

EDIT.....I recd some great advice...Im good.......thanks to all as usual.!!!

I wanted your opinion...

I noticed on my elec. fan hook up, that I have a wire that rests on the rad tank area, so its exposed to very hi heat.....and is vulnerable to melting I assume.

Ill rewire when it gets warmer out, and when my lumber disc heals up......but for now, I want to use a product that Ive seen at Mcmaster and Carr.....waddya think? this way I dont have to cut the wire...Ill just use this wrap for the 3 or 4 vulnerable inches..

scroll down to see " heat reflective fg ......"

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cable-sleeving/=pjxfb5

Edited by jrkoupe

Your worried about an electrical wire which is exposed to heat through the radiator? The radiator gets hot but not that hot that you need reflective heat barrier. Just wrap it in a couple layers of cloth electrical tape and it will be just fine.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

My opinion? This is simply not an issue. It seems to me that a radiator wouldn't get much hotter than the coolant it carries. How hot is that? Wouldn't it be the temperature of pressurized coolant, say 240-ish degrees?

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I'd be more worried about a loose wire rubbing against the radiator tank (or anything else, for that matter) and wearing off the insulation than heat from the radiator melting the insulation...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite