• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Separating Hub & Caliper

Dutchie3719
Go to solution Solved by tim385,

I can't seem to separate the hub and caliper to replace the press fit wheel studs. I've tried heat, and air tools, but all the hex key bolts are pretty damn stuck. It's not like they're very rusty either, I'm betting they got over-torqued before I got my grubby paws on the car. Any trick to separating them? Anyone know torque spec for these bolts?

While I'm at it, any tips on press fitting the new studs in?

-Dan

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So you have not been able to get the allen bolts out that hold the hub and rotor together? I got mine apart a couple days ago with no too many issues.

I don't know if it really works or not but giving the bolts a good whack has helped me with stuck bolts in the past. A little of that, some PB blaster, some heat (be careful of the fumes). I do it several times applying force gradually.

Good luck!

Presume you mean the hub and rotor, not caliper.  If so, and if the allen bolts are really stuck, I'd remove the hub/rotor assembly from the car and use heat on the allen bolts that hold the two together. Much safer than heating 'em on the car, as the grease around the wheel bearings can melt/catch fire, and you might ruin the wheel bearing grease seal and not know it.  

Be careful forcing the allen bolts--you really don't want to either break 'em or round 'em off; in their recessed position they will be a real PITA to remove if either happens.  Heat, penetrating oil and patience are your friends.

Once you have the bolts out, a few whangs with a hammer (dead blow if you have one, otherwise a heft ball pein) will separate hub and rotor.  Before you reassemble, I'd coat the hub/rotor mating surfaces with anti-seize compound, and also put some on the allen bolt threads.  That'll prevent future trauma...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Make sure you're using an in-hex socket.  I have reverted to a rattle gun in past-

those things really like to bind in there.  Wear safety glasses.

And this is probably the #1 reason I go to vented brakes in front.  Well, that and the warping

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

DOH! Hub and Rotor.

They are off car. Broken Stud, and sqeaky wheel bearing...

Beyond Heat and Really Really Long Bars there's nothing I'm missing eh?

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cussing

+1 on this

++2 on cussing in German, maybe c.d. has a language converter in his stash

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I put it in a vise with tubes around the stud threads. Others bolt it to a rim and tire to hold it steady. PB blaster soak, heat, I've used the impact gun on a low setting. If you do it by hand, like any rusty bolt, the trick is to go slowly, and every few turns out, wind it back in and start again. That tends to avoid a build=up of crud on the threads that can bind and snap a bolt.

+1 on this

++2 on cussing in German, maybe c.d. has a language converter in his stash

No cussing in german. It´s "küssen" with two dots above the "u". ;)

Best regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

• 3 weeks later...

We're talking about crazy nuts are we... I had a bear of a time getting my strut gland nuts off >.<

Shock+tool.JPG

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2