• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Much Adjustment Is Built Into The Engine Mounts?

the idea of introducing plastic into a 2002s cooling system... just... drives... me... nuts....

...says the man who owns more than one BMW built after E30....

Yes, there IS a copper rad, and ironically, the parts chain sent me one when I WANTED plastic for the race car.

But it's E21 plastic, and for some reason completely unfathomable to me, the E36 has needed 2 radiators, 3 reservoir

bottles, a 'engine pipe', a heater valve manifold and a water pump,

and yet I can get away with running any random E21 plastic radiator in the race car and it never, ever fails.

It doesn't even let the thing overheat.

I don't get it.  But I use them because I am a cheap bastard.  And they seem to work. 

And the nipple should point down.  Otherwise, you'll never get it to bleed, 'cause it's drilled internally to

bleed from the top rear of the clutch slave.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Mlytle -  I thought so, but I was wondering if that nipple on top was to locate in one direction for a reason.

Just as Toby described above, the bleed screw must be down on the slave cyl. counter-intuitive, but the designers were actually thinking about this one. screw is down for access, but internally the screw access is drilled through to the top of the chanber inside the slave to get the air.

2xM3

does this discusson hold true with all bmw 5 speed trans or just select trans, like the dogleg 5, 318 trans etc.  I have a 320 I 5speed and a 390 diff combo i'd like to slide into my 02 but  this whole thing sounds like a real pain.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

The need to align the face of the driveshaft to the guibo is an issue for all transmissions.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)