• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please Verify I Did This Right (Safety Wire)

Beach_Bum

Nice job!  Key is to wire so that the hardware is tightening with the pull/twist of the wire, not loosening.  Looks easier than it actually is to replicate..

I used the wrong size safety wire (too thick).

IMG_6748.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Nice job!  Key is to wire so that the hardware is tightening with the pull/twist of the wire, not loosening.  Looks easier than it actually is to replicate..

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I was having a hard time wrapping my head around. Trying to visualize if I pulled the wire from one way, how it would effect the other bolts. I stressed myself out looking at it for too long haha.

The second one is wrong. I'm pretty sure at least. But I'm no expert. Shit mine arent even safety wired...

Your first one is gorgeous! 

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

The second one is wrong. I'm pretty sure at least. But I'm no expert. Shit mine arent even safety wired...

Your first one is gorgeous!

...except that those are bolts...

Yeah, the first is almost textbook The second will probably be fine.

t

Thanks guys. I think you're correct Roadhog, I noticed I did the second one wrong when I compared it to the first set of pics. I'm going to redo it tonight. Edited by Beach_Bum

Yes - the second one isn't tightening the bolts (lefty-loosey, righty-tighty except if you have a weird Chrysler product).  Don't feel bad, I struggled with the wiring when I did it.

BTW - I have the same ball joint/tie rod/pitman arm tool and it works fine.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Something else to consider.  Ditch the nut/lockwashers that came with the ball joint and put on crimped or nylock nuts with a washer.  That's definitely not something you want coming loose.

Thanks for the tip. I was going to put some Loctite on them as well.

Please see Carroll Smith's Nuts, bolts, fastners, and plumbing handbook. The link below will take you to the index. There is a nice picture of a suspension saftey wired on page 123. I'd also highly recommend picking up the book as a refrence.

http://books.google.com/books?id=A81HmmRCN7YC&pg=PA222&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

76 '02 owned 20 years.....project for the last 13. I should probably be faster than the rust I'm chasing.

Please see Carroll Smith's Nuts, bolts, fastners, and plumbing handbook. The link below will take you to the index. There is a nice picture of a suspension saftey wired on page 123. I'd also highly recommend picking up the book as a refrence.

http://books.google.com/books?id=A81HmmRCN7YC&pg=PA222&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

The link takes you to a preview that excludes pages 3-193. Guess you have to buy the book. Even from the index. Does look like an educational book though.

Re-did the second strut last night...what a pain! No matter what I did the wire wasn't wrapping properly. I believe it was because of the way the holes in the bolt heads were facing.

I finally had to take two of the bolts out and switch their locations so that the holes would line up in different directions. After I did that it was a piece of cake. Forgot to take pics though, by the time I finished it was pretty late.