• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch Slave Cylinder Installed Inverted!

bnam

In a recent thread by hackmechanic (I think) I had posted the question -- can the slave cylinder be mounted upside down, and will that make it easier to remove?

To my surprise I found out today that the slave cylinder on my car was mounted inverted by the PO.  So I can answer my two questions -- yes and no.

0139530e6e2648e57a18e739299db5ad59ce5e62

It's been working like that for about 7000 miles now.  I took a half hearted try at loosening the top nut, but I'm inclined to let this sleeping dog lie.

Byas

An inverted cylinder may not bleed properly, since the bleed-hole on a properly installed one (nipple pointing down) goes to the top of the cylinder.

Edited by allbim

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

Qwestion begs to be asked, is clutch working properly? If so I wouldnt touch it, the chore of turning that over and possibly reitroducing air in line with bleeding a maybe, not worth it if functioning. When the time comes to remove engine or tranny for clutch replacement put it on your chore list then, much easier when you have room to work.  PO possibly pressure bled from underneath?

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

By your photo that is the correct way , fluid comes in the bottom and the bleed screw on top, air goes up ...right even in the southern hemisphere it goes up

72/2002 Inca

72tii/2002 "Apple"

70/2002 "Five "

73/2002 "Freeda"

2007 Lotus 7 Replica

2011 Ford xr6 Ute

85 E30 325

70 1600-2 "Orange"

By your photo that is the correct way , fluid comes in the bottom and the bleed screw on top, air goes up ...right even in the southern hemisphere it goes up

The 320 5spd slave cyl has passageways/drillings that result in the bleeder pointing downwards to be correct.

I used to have a cut-away diagram of it.....but.....can't find it.

Ok found it; hope it's legible.

post-32042-0-69774000-1386507387_thumb.j

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Qwestion begs to be asked, is clutch working properly? If so I wouldnt touch it, the chore of turning that over and possibly reitroducing air in line with bleeding a maybe, not worth it if functioning. When the time comes to remove engine or tranny for clutch replacement put it on your chore list then, much easier when you have room to work.  PO possibly pressure bled from underneath?

Oh yeh, if that thing's working, don't poke at it!

t

It works just fine and has for 7K+miles.  Won't attempt to change it for now.  Got too many things going on -- suspension - springs, bushings; driveshaft, output seal etc.

0139530e6e2648e57a18e739299db5ad59ce5e62

The fluid-in nipple is angled to the left in this pic.  If this had been mounted correctly, it would have canted towards the gearbox leaving space for a long extension to reach the upper nut.  But, since the bleed screw is not canted -- in this inverted position -- I think there is even less space to get at the nut from behind.

Would everyone print 02Les's posted slave sheet and carry it in your wallet so this can be the last time this well worn question appears!

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.