• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Output Shaft Seal Replacement

bnam

I don't think an electric impact will make a dent on that nut. Mine only goes to 140. Thanks to Harbor Frt, a decent compressor and air impact are not that expensive. Also I'm not sure I'd want to wedging the flange against the transmission as shown above.

I don't think an electric impact will make a dent on that nut. Mine only goes to 140. Thanks to Harbor Frt, a decent compressor and air impact are not that expensive. Also I'm not sure I'd want to wedging the flange against the transmission as shown above.

You may be right about the electric impact wrench, especially with the lockplate still in place but it still would be nice for other things. Still on my wish list.

I had my fingers crossed when I wedged the chisel in the flange. But it worked and I didn't crack the case. The problem was keeping the transmission from turning.

I wouldn't want to find out whether one of those bosses would snap, but I appreciate the challenge of immobilizing the flange. If you have it out of the car, it might be better to haul it off to someone who has a gun and pay $10.

Yes, electric impact is handy when I don't want to wait for the compressor to fire up, and comes in handy around the house (does a nice job on lag bolts if you're building a deck).

If it is Loc-Tited you can also try a few drops of acetone on the top of that nut and let it sit for a minute, if it penetrates it will break the Loc-Tite, normally I would worry about the seal getting eaten away but since you are replacing it anyway....

also if this doesn't work and you intend to try heating it,  make sure all of the acetone has evaporated away before you fire up the torch.

74 Golf