• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts On This Ebay Tii?

evbimmer

As I've posted Im in the market for a 2002, 73 or below. In all of my internet browsing of cars I keep coming back to how stuning the car in the Ebay ad is. Can I get some opinions from the experts here? What jumps out at me is the lack of the dash clock, not even evidence that it was ever there. The VIN matches a 1972 Tii, though.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181275499050?forcerRptr=true&item=181275499050&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:BOCOS:MOTORS:1123

If this is a forum members car or if this is against any rules please let me know. No offense intended!

Thanks!

Ben

It isn't one I'd buy without a close inspection.  Lots of little things wrong that would make me worry about the areas I can't see.

Things I noticed:

- rear panel badging wrong and on the left rear the trunk lid and rear bumper don't sit right.

- maybe others will disagree, but something doesn't look right to me in the shock towers.  They look like they have a layer of filler in the area where they normally rust.

- lots of minor things wrong with the interior and missing slats on the grill.  If somebody doesn't care enough to fix minor things like this, what big things have been ignored?

- I almost said that the engine doesn't have the right intake runners, but then I realized it does have plastic runners...they're just covered with so much dirt that they match the dirty aluminum parts.  So I'll just say very dirty engine.

In short, it could be a great car, but there are a lot of red flags that warrant a good inspection to disprove.

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

A few things I noticed...

- Front clip has definitely been replaced. Snorkel, seam lines, no reflectors. Hood doesn't seem to fit right.

- Rear clip has probably had some work since the 2002tii badge is up too high

- Dash could have been swapped - it doesn't have many cracks in it, which leads me to believe a badly cracked one may have been in there at one point. You never know. I am not sure if that is the correct dash for it - it's the same style my '73 has, but I can't remember when that particular dash arrived.

- Definitely some rust creeping in here and there. I'm sure you can see most of it. 

Good color. Looks like a fun driver. Price seems high, but there is no such thing as a cheap 2002 any more. Color and tii add value. 

Edited by malagalaga

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

It was for sale in July for $6000. Probably a more realistic price considering the rust.

Pics below from the July sale.

No clue if the latest seller has addressed this issue.

post-32042-0-33301900-1386541609_thumb.j

post-32042-0-48316800-1386541666_thumb.j

post-32042-0-88614300-1386541697_thumb.j

post-32042-0-17991600-1386541730_thumb.j

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

It now shows as sold.  If you bought it I hope you made a full inspection as part of the purchase and agree with comments already made.

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold