• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dismantling/separating Exhaust ?

jrkoupe

so say you want to separate the rear of your center pipe from the frt of the muffler pipe....w/o ruining either piece.

How to do this?..

use Aerokroil or another good penetrant

use CRC freeze spray?

heat up first?

I realize one could put some  lengthwise slits in overlaying pipe and then separate   a bit, and voila ...remove.

but both are to be re used.......!!!

thnx

jrk

I just did this last week with a stock exhaust. I used PB blaster to try to soak the two pieces that need to be separated . I heat them and beat them and they were like welded together. I took my die grinder and made short work of it. The new IE exhaust was easy to install but very disappointing to the ear.

exhaust was a least 5 years old . It came with the car. I put on the IE shorty header , The IE downpipe and

SS exhaust. I was shocked and dismayed when I fired up the car and it sounded like the stock exhaust. No snarl no growl no throaty sound at all. It sounds like SH#@, My buddy Jason told me it would get throatier with age. I sure hope so because to me it was not an upgrade at all . I am going to have an exhaust custom made so I can have an exhaust with a little more attitude

I wanted a snarl for my 02...its my toy....so I wanted noise.

I did custom....using a glasspac....14 bux......done. I really wasnt concerned w/ hp numbers. IE set up may give u more hp.......its just not a sound upgrade in your opinion...lol

I know the IE  is a well loved item.......its more of a gentlemans exhaust...not a throaty beast.

And It may get louder...but I would say minimally.

Edited by jrkoupe

It didn't have to wake up the neighborhood I just thought it would sound better . It is very nice looking and seems to be well made . The fitment was also very good . it was 325.00 I guess I shouldn't have expected a BB or a fabspeed

Huh! I have the IE stainless system hooked up to a Stahl header. Plenty o' noise. In fact I'm ditching the header and switching to a tii exhaust manifold and IE downpipe to reduce the noise. Guess I am a gentleman after all ;-)

1974 polaris A 4281992 (total resto with 5-spd conversion)

1976 jadegrun 2744974 (sold then killed by the new owner, grrrr!)

1976 sahara A 2392532 (sold)

1971 nevada 2571108(RIP)

I have a stock new exhaust that I intend to re-fit to my Tii.  I like being able to easily detach the rear and center sections.  I was thinking of installing flanges similar to what's between the center section and the front downpipe.  Anyone done this?

B

Try putting some "Never-seize" Copper-Slip?? on the pipe ends.

A little dab will do.  I've removed my rear stock muffler several times.  I sit on the ground and do the "twist and shout" and remember NOT to tighten the begeezus out of the muffler clamp.

It also helps to paint the exhaust components with a good brush-on paint like Eastwood's HT silver.

IMG_8926_zps6e56c789.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"