• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your First Experience With A 2002?

Nesset127

Jim Gerock, you inspired me to dig through old photo albums.  Here I am with my first 2002 in 1989 or 1990 and then one of my girlfriend (now wife) getting ready to drive it.

Wow - Great pics Matthew!  Did Katie authorize your sharing the one of her?

Times change - but the love of these boxy cars does not seem to diminish.

ae46b448.jpg

SusansJuly4thridesmall.jpg

Old picture of my car (thanks to Matthew Reinhart and Jeremy Davenport for sharing)

right_front.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

LOL, yes I did get permission before posting the picture with Katie in it--good thing she came home just as I was getting ready to scan it!

I forgot to mention details on the car.  It was a '74 2002 rust bucket.  The sills were shot from the sunroof drains and the inner fenders had the typical rust along the seam in the trunk.  2nd gear was pretty crunchy.  But it got me through some of high school and the first three years of college.

Most importantly, there was something about it that almost ten years later made me say "I want another one."

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

ok, my turn.

I came home from the hospital in the back seat of my 2002ti.  I grew up riding around in it until my brother and I got too big for the back seat, and Dad got a Bavaria in 1983.  the ti got parked and was driven only occasionally.  I got my first car when I was 12, it was a 1969 1600 rust bucket which my friends and I used as a "field car".  the deal with my dad was that as long as I could start it I could keep it.  eventually it got so bad the fenders fell off and my feet fell through the floor so it got parted out.

my first street car was a 1978 320i.  we bought it for $450, it had a bad knock and pine needles in the oil pan.  great car, sold it for the downpayment on our first house after getting married.

I started driving the ti in the summer of 2001, gradually getting it roadworthy (an ongoing "discussion" I have with the car...)

I bought my own 2002 in 2006 when we moved to Atlanta and daily drove it for several years.  now it has made the transition to track rat/auto-x toy and my daily driver is a 2001 330Xi.

I brought ti down to Georgia in 2010 so i can devote more time to it.  One day I'll do the full restoration on it, maybe once the kids are older.

Jon

ok, my turn.

I came home from the hospital in the back seat of my 2002ti.  I grew up riding around in it until my brother and I got too big for the back seat, and Dad got a Bavaria in 1983.  the ti got parked and was driven only occasionally.  I got my first car when I was 12, it was a 1969 1600 rust bucket which my friends and I used as a "field car".  the deal with my dad was that as long as I could start it I could keep it.  eventually it got so bad the fenders fell off and my feet fell through the floor so it got parted out.

my first street car was a 1978 320i.  we bought it for $450, it had a bad knock and pine needles in the oil pan.  great car, sold it for the downpayment on our first house after getting married.

I started driving the ti in the summer of 2001, gradually getting it roadworthy (an ongoing "discussion" I have with the car...)

I bought my own 2002 in 2006 when we moved to Atlanta and daily drove it for several years.  now it has made the transition to track rat/auto-x toy and my daily driver is a 2001 330Xi.

I brought ti down to Georgia in 2010 so i can devote more time to it.  One day I'll do the full restoration on it, maybe once the kids are older.

Jon

Jon - great story.  Browsing thru some older Roundels featuring the CCA Oktoberfest events your family always seems to be there.  

Jim

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"