• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wife Needs A New Small Suv... Range Rover Evoque?

Lebowski

My wife is in the market for a new car within the next 6 months.  She mentioned the Evoque as one she thinks looks nice... anyone have experience with one?  They are definitely polarizing in the looks department, but I'm a bit concerned about some of the reviews of the driving experience regarding throttle response and everyday usability.... based on a ford powertrain.  Used ones have come down in price nicely but are still hard to fnd locally.

She and I both don't like the look of the X3, and the X5 is too big.

I like the Audi Q5, and would love to talk her into the SQ5, but we'll have to see!

Looking for reviews or suggestions based on your personal experiences please... 

Thanks!

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Earlier this year, my wife and I were shopping for a newer vehicle to replace my worn out Honda Coupe.  I looked at the X1 and X3 BMW's, but they were too expensive and I couldn't even fit my feet thru the narrow rear door opening at the B pillar.  I liked the look of the new Ford Escape but it was their new design so I was fearful of issues (there have been some - I subscribe to Consumer Reports Magazine).  We then looked at a new 2013 Subaru Forester which I liked - the 2014 re-design is not to my liking.  

This is what we ended up with - a 2011 Honda Pilot EXL with 23K miles from CarMax.  No factory navigation or rear seat entertainment (we do not have kids).  We love it  - current mileage is 31K.  I know this is considered a "mid size SUV".   Good luck with your search Aaron.

Jim

IMG_8832_zpsa3b89854.jpg

Note the 02's in the reflection..

IMG_8839_zpsb54830dc.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Thanks Jim.  It's hard to beat Honda reliability, which is why I'm scared to look at the Evoque.  They look pretty, but aren't the most reliable of brands.  Still, the engine comes from Ford (don't know if that is a plus or not...).  My wife's MDX has given us zero problems in the past seven years... but she is getting bored and wants something a bit more exciting in her words.

I like the Carmax idea too... we could get something shipped to middle america easily... and they would probably be better on trade in value too.

The good thing for me is that my wife HATES to spend money... the fact that she hasn't had a car payment in the past 3 years may be the best argument to be made for NOT buying a new vehicle.  You gotta love a woman that hates to shop!

Aaron

Walter: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me. I'll get you a toe by this afternoon--with nail polish...

Neighbor across from us had the first generation Acura RDX on a lease.  Great vehicle (one with the turbo).  New ones aren't as "exciting" and have a normally aspirated engine.  While my Pilot isn't very attractive, the "beak" trend on the Acuras takes some getting used to.

Same neighbor also had an X5 in mint condition that he sold to a guy in either NC or SC.  

Aaron, my wife and I are on the same wavelength.  It feels SO GOOD not to have a car payment (when you can).  Her 2002 MB C240 has 172K miles and my previous 2000 Honda had over 240K miles.

Jim Gerock

MDX is wonderful......Pilot is amazing....Q5 is very handsome...

Evoque?....Id say no.....Ford...and what appears to be horrible outward rear vision..

1+... My wife is sucked in by the Evoque's gorgeous looks, but I've read about that poor rear view and a throttle with little in the way of modulation and I'm not sold. We tend to keep cars for an average of 7 years so I don't want to jump into something that looks nice but is difficult to live with on a daily basis.

My wife's Acura MDX is one of the 2007 models which was before the beak nose refreshing ruined the look for me. We both absolutely agree that the new MDX and latest generation RDX are just too bland for our tastes. I'm really in love with the Audi SQ5 but unfortunately it's a brand-new model and quite pricey... And I think much more car than the Range Rover Evoque for the same money new. But the Evoque has been out a couple years now and a used one would be quite attractive having already taken a hit on depreciation. But as I said before if it sucks to drive the no matter how good it looks it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Thanks for the opinions but when the rubber meets the road I know my wife well enough to know she probably won't want to spend the money on a new car payment. After all her 2007 MDX just turned 37,000 miles! Barely broken in!

Aaron

Holy smokes.  Hate to ask, but have you had issues with the exhaust system and EGR system? That low mileage can hurt.

Never any problems Jim... Knock on wood...

The good thing is that she doesn't drive it everyday. It usually comes out once or twice a week for errands and has time to get up to full operating temp instead of small daily trips that don't allow enough heat to build up to limit exhaust condensation.

Since Michelle stays home with our son there just isn't as much running around to do until Asher starts playing sports and extracurricular activities...

Aaron

Never any problems Jim... Knock on wood...

The good thing is that she doesn't drive it everyday. It usually comes out once or twice a week for errands and has time to get up to full operating temp instead of small daily trips that don't allow enough heat to build up to limit exhaust condensation.

Since Michelle stays home with our son there just isn't as much running around to do until Asher starts playing sports and extracurricular activities...

Good on your wife getting the MDX up to full operating temperature.  Do a search for Honda V6 EGR issues and you will find lots of info and video.  My 2000 Accord had several issues with the EGR valve and port clogging.  On newer engines, Honda changed the valve, ports and top of the intake manifold plenum to help rectify the issues.  My Pilot has a large, bolt-on cover plate on the top of the intake for easy access to the EGR plenum.  My sales rep. in GA racked up 330K miles on his 98 V6 Accord before giving it to his son in TN.  Some consider these cars appliances - but they get the job done.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll make you a honey of a deal on Veronica's 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara (same as the Chevy Tracker).  It has 4 doors, 4WD, leather seats, 138K miles.  Hey, you needn't concern yourself with scratches or dents.  No worries, mate!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

• 3 weeks later...