• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Valve Rebuild

M3M3

Note that this very nice tutorial applies to the larger sized valve as fitted to modell 71 and later cars.  IIRC the smaller valve fitted to the earlier cars has brass innards, not plastic.

And a suggestion (applies to both large and small valves).  Use stainless steel screws to replace the plain steel ones.  They won't rust in place and make you have to drill 'em out the next time you rebuild your valve.  And there will be a next time!

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

DAMN, that's some spooky shit.  I just opened the laptop to ask if anyone knew part numbers for the two O-rings in the valve and VIOLA...

Thanks for a great post ADM!!!

As an addendum, I was cleaning my valve getting ready for a rebuild.  Dropped it in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar/water mix and forgot about it for a couple weeks. When I remembered it, all the tarnish was gone, but it was replaced with hard pink corrosion. Turns out it wasn't corroded, but had somewhat chemically "electroplated" itself with the steel from the screws and arm.  This would be a good solution if your screws are corroded into place, they're kinda soft. The vinegar had completely eaten away the screws.

This is a pic of some of the pink stuff after I had beadblasted most of it off.

post-32031-0-44670600-1387122335_thumb.j

The eaten arm:

post-32031-0-38781300-1387122360_thumb.j

post-32031-0-30683000-1387122382_thumb.j

After some good beadblasting, you can the brass is untouched.

post-32031-0-90278200-1387122411_thumb.j

Now i just need to shiny up the inside a bit, powdercoat it and I'll be good to go.  That kit looks MUCH sturdier.  Should be good for another 50 yrs!!!

TK

Life's a garden baby, dig it.

My web album

75 Fjord

73 RHD Targa

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice write up, my heater box doesn't get warm, suspect the valve is inoperative or something, with your explanation the valve rebuild looks like a piece of cake, now if I could just get some little gnomes to crawl under my dash and pull the thing out, poked around a little, looks like a bit of a chore to pull it out.

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

Hmm, I am starting to think I don't have the heater shut off valve, I figured it must be up in the heater box area because I couldn't find it anywhere else, and the Penske Parts diagram seemed to show it in that area, I have followed the plumbing going in and out of the firewall and don't see a valve, where exactly, or at least approximately is it supposed to be?

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

The valve is in the cowl area, directly under the lower edge of the front windshield, on the passenger side of the fan/heater box assembly.

There is a heater hose going from the back of the engine (cylinder head, IIRC), going through the forward firewall of the cowl on the passenger side, leading to the front side of the valve.

Found a photo of somebody's engine compartment, showing the heater valve clearly:

post-45192-0-51653600-1388288927_thumb.j

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by schoir

Thanks Maurice, I just was kind of thinking the hoses that went into the firewall exited immediately into the cabin, a little poking around with the trouble light shows that is obviously not the case.

I do have the control valve, it appears to be hooked up and working correctly and not leaking, but no water up there, I pulled the hose from the double water connection on the head that feeds through the intake manifold to the heater, and not water in that hose either, blew a little air through the system reverse flushing it and a bunch of fluid came out the other end, and far as I can tell the only way it could have done that is if the pressure flowed through the heater, so either I have quite a head scratcher (no heat in the heater core) or there was some fairly insubstantial blockage and my little puff of compressed air blew it out.

Too late to test the sports mufflered 2002 which sits in the attached garage directly below the significant other's bedroom tonight, but mildly optimistic that I am making progress and may even get heat tomorrow morning when I can test it.

Edited by glemon

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

Thanks for the article.  The biggest problem I had was find the shoulder bolt holding the cable to the adjustment arm.  Any suggestions for a source?  I found one on line at a junkyard, still not sure how they found it.

If anyone has an option, I would be interested as an "extra"

Don

P3150209.jpg

Edited by beammmer

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007