• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differences Between A 1968 1600-2 And 2002

Andrew Havens

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl's convertible (featured in Katy Perry's video). Note the photoshopping of the license plate in this picture

Cool pic jg but it sure looks like a 16 to me, Katy looks happy no matter

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

Other than what's been covered the 1600-2 had a smaller inner front wheel bearing, the outer is the same as the 2002. So the spindle and therefore the strut are also different. 

Regards the interior the carpet was different to the 2002

2 speed fan - not sure whether they were in the early 2002 and when they changed to 3 speed.

Upper seat belt pick-up is on the side panel and not the B pillar. 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

2 speed fan - not sure whether they were in the early 2002 and when they changed to 3 speed.

Nick,  the USA owner's manual supplement from 1970 mentions this: "contrary to the statement in the enclosed owner's handbook page 77, your car was equipped with a 3 speed axial blower".  One has to assume the owner's manual says the car has a 2 speed blower.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

This a true cabrio?

Sure looks like it there are a lot of fakes out there.  Speakin of heater fan differences, my 16 works and my o2 dosent, up here in Gods country in  december that just makes me love the little Black Beast even more

76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

I purchases 1969 bmw. I am not sure if it is a 1600 or a 2002. The ebay ad say 2002 but there have been enough discrepancy to make me think it is a 1600.

I am not sure what to call this part. I am going to call it a clutch rod. Is this part the same for a 1600 or  2002?

This a 4 spd car.

Why don't you simply put your VIN in a decoder, such as:

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve

That would only work if my car was stock as it left the factory. My vin shows up as an E30.

And the previous owner has mismatched parts all over the place I am finding out. I have learned in the last few days my tank maybe from a later car ( people on this board are split, my friend said I have the wrong tank), my rear diff is from 1600 (4.10 gears) but I have speedo from 2002 with higher gears. That is why my speedo says I am going 90mph when I am really only doing 70mph.

So, I am not sure what transmission I have in the car. If the part I want is the same for 2002 or 1602 then it would not matter I could just order one right now.

--

Sean

Steve

I take that back. Your link worked for my vin. The vin decoder for the part site everybody gives my vin shows E30.

thanks.

Modelo BMW 1600 Región USA Versión (LHD) Volante a la izquierda Transmisión Mecánico Carrocería 114 Generación Pre 71 Año 1969 Producción ene-69 - dic-69

--

Sean

I take that back. Your link worked for my vin. The vin decoder for the part site everybody gives my vin shows E30.

thanks.

Modelo

BMW 1600

Región

USA

Versión

(LHD) Volante a la izquierda

Transmisión

Mecánico

Carrocería

Generación

Pre 71

Año

Producción

ene-69 - dic-69

Right, most of the generic decoders are set up for modern 13-digit VIN's. Some of these also have an "archives" function to look up older 7-digit VIN's. The Columbia 2002 Club's site, however, is designed specifically for our 7-digit VIN's.

Separately, an e-mail to BMW Archives (apparently closed until January 7th) should also get you the specific date the car's manufacture was completed, the date title passed from the factory to the U.S. distributor, and the original color. The e-mail address appears in lots of threads (try searching on "Andreas Harz" or "Christina Hartung").

Lastly, if your engine number matches your VIN -- the engine number is stamped into a flat boss just above the starter motor -- then you'll at least know it's a 1600 motor. Swapping out speedometers (the gauge cluster or just the speedometer) is an easy thing to do and has often been done to correct a broken speedometer or "modernize" the gauge cluster. There are threads on speedometers that correlate rear axle ratios to the correctly geared (marked) speedometer heads.

Your car might be less of a Frankenstein's monster than you first thought. If it has a bona fide 4.10 differential, the rear end is very likely original.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

BMW Archives (apparently closed until January 7th)

Now theres a company that knows how to take a Holiday, apps available?   Thinkin 90 when only goin 70 will save alot of speedin tickets, whos countin anyway

Keep smilin all the way