• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch Wont Disengage - 5Spd Swap

evanb

Some times these things happen. Makes you think what the heck did I get myself into. Then you take it apart and put it back together and every thing works. It gives more of an appreciation of how the car works. Now whenever you push in the clutch, you will be reminded of how good it feels.

Nice, hopefully you live in the southern parts of the country so you can take it out for a drive. So, is the verdict that it was the fault of the extra dripped loctite that caused things to stick together or something else? I'm about to put everything back together for my conversion and would like to avoid this situation if I can, ha.

Sneeb: I think my problem was that I installed the clutch a week or two before I should have. I put it on, then struggled to replace the seals on the trans. I think that's what did it.

I'm just relieved honestly. It renewed my enthusiasm, that's for sure. The first thingi thought when I got it working was "ok, what's next?!"

Congrats! I don't think I would've had the cojones to put it all back together the way it was without changing something. Congrats for keeping a clear head.

And  I loved your Yosemite Sam "emoticon."

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

One final question: when I stopped the engine, the trans puked up a bunch of fluid from the speedo cable hole (speedo cable not installed). Is this normal, did I just have too much fluid in the trans, or is this another issue to diagnose?

Glad you got it fixed! Make sure that the speedo gear assembly did not pop out of the trans and go hide somewhere. I once put in a trans without the speedo cable (no speedo, cuz racecar) and eventually the speedo gear assembly fell out of the trans and it puked fluid. I thought "I must have a hole in the trans case" and I did! I bought an expandable  rubber plug to fill the hole. --Fred

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Haha ya that Yosemite sam image is how I felt when everything worked as it should. If I had guns there would be holes all over the garage right now.

So is there an actual assembly that goes in the hole there? The trans I got didn't have anything and I wasn't sure if I'm just supposed to shove the cable in the hole or what?

Yes, there is an assembly, held in by the set screw, I believe. If it is in there then you will see a hole the diameter of the end of the speedo cable. Once the cable is in it is held by the set screw in the groove on the speedo cable tip. If the assembly is missing you will see a bigger, deep hole. The assembly is something like parts 18-22 in the image below (Real OEM, 320 5-spd.)

post-36969-0-19770600-1390538860_thumb.p

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

Yes, if the speedo cable is left out it will burp out transmission fluid. The guy I bought my tranny from had run it without a speedo and it was the filthiest transmission I had ever seen, the fluid was a little low but not in any danger of being so low that damage occurred so running it that way won't grenade your transmission, make sure the retaining screw (#16 above) is in there though or else the speedo gear and related parts (#18-#22) can work their way out and get damaged.

74 Golf