• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Carpet - Moulded Or Cut To Pieces

pehlivanov_tii

Hi guys,

My car is Euro 73 2002tii in Golf yellow with Salt and pepper carpet and i want to know what type was my original carpet - moulded or cut to pieces like the Esty carpets. I have seen a picture somewhere in the net and it was moulded. But few days ago i had the chance to see a very original and very low mileage '66 or '67 1600. The car is still in his first owner and i'm pretty sure that nobody changed it's carpet. And it's cut on pieces like the Esty carpets. So on what depends the carpet type? Year of producing?

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

My 72 has the mulit piece carpet. I think when they switched over to model 73 (1974 model year) is when the carpet changed to one molded piece. That's when the grilles and tail lights, etc, changed. If your car is a 73 it should have multi piece. If you have round tail lights it should be multi piece carpet, I think.

If you are new to 02s, get the Macartney resto book, and the new James Taylor book. Really good reference material.

Scott

My 72 has the mulit piece carpet. I think when they switched over to model 73 (1974 model year) is when the carpet changed to one molded piece. That's when the grilles and tail lights, etc, changed. If your car is a 73 it should have multi piece. If you have round tail lights it should be multi piece carpet, I think.

If you are new to 02s, get the Macartney resto book, and the new James Taylor book. Really good reference material.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

it's a roundie and i'm happy that it has a multi-piece carpet, because i guess it's very hard to find good original moulded one piece carpet.

Anyway.. Since i'll have to make new multi piece carpet can somebody give me the measurements of the pieces. I'm pretty sure that there are people here which have been made carpets for their own cars.

Esty's carpets are good, but i'm from Bulgaria, and it will take much time for shipping and plus shipping the carpet will get a little bit pricey. No offence, Esty.

So i will be glad if someone share some information about the piece sizes on PM or e-mail (not public)

Cheers.

Edited by pehlivanov_tii

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

Esty will work hard for your business, if you can get the set shipped via USPS, shipping might be cheaper than you think.

In the long run u will be very happy with estys product

Edited by dbmw2002

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way

it's a roundie and i'm happy that it has a multi-piece carpet, because i guess it's very hard to find good original moulded one piece carpet.

Can you not use your current carpet as a pattern/template?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I'm a flooring contractor and have been installing carpet for way too long. I've done many RVs, boats and cars. The right way to wall to wall a contoured surface is to template it with stiff pattern paper and tape. The resulting pattern pieces are laid out upside down on the back of the carpet and after they're marked and cut out everything gets hand sewn. The advantage is you get to pick the quality of the carpet. Any kit carpet ordered is sure to be of inferior quality carpet. It's labor intensive to make your own molded carpet and do it correctly. We cross stitch with a giant curved and staight needles, heavy carpet thread and a needle pushing glove, then coat the stitching with latex. It costs customers dearly for the procedure because of the time involved but the results can really make the interior.

I'm a flooring contractor and have been installing carpet for way too long. I've done many RVs, boats and cars. The right way to wall to wall a contoured surface is to template it with stiff pattern paper and tape. The resulting pattern pieces are laid out upside down on the back of the carpet and after they're marked and cut out everything gets hand sewn. The advantage is you get to pick the quality of the carpet. Any kit carpet ordered is sure to be of inferior quality carpet. It's labor intensive to make your own molded carpet and do it correctly. We cross stitch with a giant curved and staight needles, heavy carpet thread and a needle pushing glove, then coat the stitching with latex. It costs customers dearly for the procedure because of the time involved but the results can really make the interior.

i'd love to see some pics of your automotive work and the type carpet used...i've never run in to anyone that sews the carpet binding like you...

FWIW...i offer budget carpet, not many folks can afford a $1000.00 for a new carpet set, me included... and,  as far as i know, i also offer some of the best materials available, some of which can be pretty pricey

Here is another option for you as you are in Bulgaria. Shipping would be cheaper but not sure they if do a salt & pepper carpet.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Kompl-Teppichsatz-fur-BMW-1502-1602-1802-2002-Lim-meliert-verschiedene-Farben-/221284606331?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item338597217b

I found this Seller on Ebay Germany a while back. I have no affiliation or experience with them. Personally, I recommend Esty's carpets as I have experience with hers.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17