• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 Paint Opinion Question

fsf517

As I have stated in the past, I'm dismantling a 76 for a complete paint/body restore. It's finally disassembled , took much longer than I thought it would. Everything labeled and bagged. That wire harness was tricky. Most of my parts are in good original shape as is the body. It has rust under the window gaskets, and the motor was already out, so figured I'd GO ALL THE WAY! And do it right.

this car is a late 76 build (July) I think it is about in the last 105 built. It's an automatic.

It's that anthrizit Grau color. I have all the smog stuff and original carb/air cleaner etc.

My original plan is to paint it PASTEL BLUE, put in a WEBER and a 4 SPEED. (Which I have the parts) and ditch the smog stuff . I like the pastel blue color because its nostalgic looking.

My question: if I decide to sell this car will I have a harder time with the color change and mods? Is the original color more desire able it's a gray with a touch of gold. The inside is tan. No options to mention. Does it make it more collectible being built so late. As far as selling for a profit that's not likely. I'm figuring a cost of approximately $10k to end up with a very nice one, built either way. But not brand new condition, I'll be using original moldings and hardware. Probably wont be re-anodizing etc.

So what way would you choose, and what way would be a better value choice?

Thanks fred

It is not going to make any difference in the value of the car as long as you don't paint it some color that everyone but you hates.  A late 76, even a late VIN is just not that collectable.  It will be worth as much as any other 2002 in that condition is worth.  The fact you are doing a full rust repair and repaint will make a huge difference in it's value if done correctly. The only problem,  it will increase the value of the car by about 50% of what you will spend to do it.  The removal of the smog equipment and the addition of the Weber will be a selling point (unless they live in CA).  I believe the 4 speed will make it easier to sell,  a OD 5 speed might be even better but it will be more $$$ right now and a fraction of that amount on the resale. 

My recommendation is build the car you want, paint it the color you like and drive it!  I still own the '02 I bought 39 years ago and it is HEAVELY modified, I don't care what it is worth to anyone else, when it's time to sell it, I'll be dead!  If you are doing this as a money making proposition you need to research the values of 2002's in your area and look long and hard at what they are selling for and what modifications are desirable and what aren't then try and figure out if you can build a car and sell it for a profit (remember your time is worth something)  It is really easy to spend $15,000 and have a $9,000 car when you are done. 

Good Luck

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

It's tough not to go all the way with trim and everything if your doing a repaint. Choose the color you want. I was never crazy about that Anthracite metallic. The important thing is that you strip the car of every part before painting if you change the color.

After you get the car back painted looking mint you're going to hate putting a shitty piece back on it. Take my word for it, do it once and do it right,even if it takes a little more time. Find yourself another car to drive while this is going on. And I think your estimate is low unless you are doing the paint job yourself. Even then it's easy to spend 10k in parts. That's not even rebuilding the engine. I have experienced it firsthand. It's called "mission creep"

The best thing to do is hang around this forum for a while till you get an education on all the things you might want to do. I wish I had spent more time reading myself before I jumped into a couple of things I did. Could have saved myself a few headaches. Ask questions and ye shall be answered.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. I hear what your saying about the old parts. I'm sure I'll be buying some new ones. I removed every part but not the suspension/wheels. So it rolls. But it is stripped to the bone otherwise. I'm always surprised to hear of so many 02 owners holding on to them for a lifetime. I had one back in 1988 and have missed it ever since. I bought this car 8 weeks ago, with a stuck motor. In the process of looking for a motor, I got a parts car, another car to pick parts from, and I stumbled on the 68 coupe I have mentioned before. So I am emerged in this process now. Thanks for the support, I'll need it... Fred

post-10-0-78537100-1387858614_thumb.jpgRegarding Pastellblau, my wife still gets 3, or more, compliments on her Pastellblau car every week, even though we live in a town of only about 20K people.  She gets probably more questions if it's for sale.  The color is fantastic looking on an '02.

Bob Napier

My recommendation is build the car you want, paint it the color you like and drive it!

+1 for Preyupy's advice.

To throw in my 02 cents worth, while you have everything apart and are putting in time and money into your project, I would suggest that you consider some of the countless small upgrades/modernizations that are easy while everything is out.  I'm not just talking about the big stuff like the 5-speed, suspension upgrades, A/C, etc., but also smaller, less obvious things.  Some things you might want to consider would be a better 320 alternator, new carpet from Esty here on the forums, delete the side markers, customize your center console to your liking, install some good speakers/stereo, rebuild the pedal box, paint some of the auxiliaries while they're out (grills, brake booster, windshield wipers, etc.), and revamp some of the electrics (add a third brake light, rewire the headlights to use relays properly, etc.)  The list is endless of course, and I'm not trying to talk you into anything you aren't really interested in doing, but do take the opportunity now to think through some of the weak points or aspects that you think could be done better.

-Carl

One more specific thing to consider, if your aluminum belt line trim isn't the prettiest anymore and you don't want to pop $300 for a new set, you can either fill the holes and go 'naked' or the plastic 3M adhesive backed faux-chrome from Autozone looks surprisingly good for ~$30.  It's just a tad narrower than original stuff, and the thing to consider at this point in the game though is whether to leave or fill the old holes for all of those trim clips.  I filled mine, but then decided to put the stick-on trim on anyway:

post-32704-0-77692700-1387911998_thumb.j

post-32704-0-79566900-1387912029_thumb.j

Feel free to PM with if you might have any questions, I included all kinds of tweaks when redoing my car all the way from cupholders to fuel injection, so happy to discuss any thoughts questions you have on matters!

-Carl

Appreciate all the support. Those 3m moldings do look great. I wasn't aware I could get a complete set for $300 , I was adding them up individually. Ching Ching . I also like the side light delete.. Hans, my 2000c should be out of paint shop in next week, then the fun begins.

One more specific thing to consider, if your aluminum belt line trim isn't the prettiest anymore and you don't want to pop $300 for a new set, you can either fill the holes and go 'naked' or the plastic 3M adhesive backed faux-chrome from Autozone looks surprisingly good for ~$30.  It's just a tad narrower than original stuff, and the thing to consider at this point in the game though is whether to leave or fill the old holes for all of those trim clips.  I filled mine, but then decided to put the stick-on trim on anyway...

+1

The adhesive trim looks great in that photo.

Filling in all of the holes for the aluminum trim also eliminates all of those inevitable sources of rust.  The rubbing of the trim and of the metal clips over the years always breaks through the paint eventually.

If someone could devise a way to mount the aluminum trim with magnetic (on the car side) and stick-on tape (on the inside of the trim side), that might be the best of both worlds.

In the meantime, if you can't make up your mind, fill in all the holes.  If you don't like the "naked" look, you can always drill them out later. That promises to be a lengthy, tedious task, but it's doable.

Regards, Maurice.

Those 3m moldings do look great.

The plastic molding is not a 3M product, but perhaps the adhesive on the back is. Found at big-box auto parts places.

If you decide to fill the trim holes, it needs to be done properly or you will have rust in no time. The various techniques have been discussed previously.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

One more specific thing to consider, if your aluminum belt line trim isn't the prettiest anymore and you don't want to pop $300 for a new set

Anyone, where do you find a set of beltline for 3 benjamins, put me down for 2 sets if so

Happy Trails to u~ Dave Miller
76 Golf~Rhiannon~BM Mascot~*~97 328is~Silver Ghost~*~68 1600~Wisperin Beast~*~70-02~Bumble Beast~*~76 02~Beast~

Keep smilin all the way