• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help! M10 Won't Start!

Skipjr1983

I just bought my first BMW, a 1975 2002 Automatic. My brothers all drive BMWs, I'm just joining the club. I found this 2002 in a non-running condition, and we are so close to driving it but we need help.

To start, we have new plugs, plug wires, we set the timing, we have spark, starter works. We have fuel going all the way through, no issues there...and it is new fuel.

There is a Weber carb sitting in top. We think we have narrowed the issue down to the carb. When we try and start the car, the carb shoots white smoke vertically. It is definitely getting fuel, but it appears as if the fuel is getting vaporized...looks like a steam engine.

We are trying to get a youtube video loaded.

Has anyone run into this issue before? My brothers are BMW nuts, but this is our first carbureted vehicle...we are lost!

post-46428-0-26610200-1388179206_thumb.j

Sounds like timing to me. Sparking while intake valve is still open and igniting the fuel/air mix in the manifold. How did you set the timing? Strobe on the ball through the hole in the trans tunnel, or lining up the mark on the front of the timing chain gear?

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

It won't take long that you will know more about the real running of a car than your brothers.  The later fuel injected stuff is a piece of cake compared to a real car.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

We have been unable to get the car started with starting fluid.....so I'm guessing that takes us back to timing. This is our first attempt to get timing right on any car, I guess we did it wrong!

We used the timing chain and a new timing strobe light. We used the line right below the number 2 on the chain sprocket, looking at it from the passenger side. We used cylinder 1' and marked the chain with white-out so we could see easier. The white-out and light appeared at the same time, leading us to think we were good.

We couldn't see the Z marking on the flywheel. We are open to suggestions!

It is entirely possible we did it wrong. Just because we think we know what we are doing doesn't mean we really do haha.

We will try the timing again tomorrow and see what happens. We will research a little more on that...any good links?

We did it have it started twice when we were still trouble shooting. Haven't checked the neutral safety switch, but will add that to the list for the morning just in case.

When we got it, the head was barely on, the spark plugs were not tightened, nothing was hooked up. It appeared as though it was partially done being put back together by someone.

When we did get it started, we were so excited that we let off the throttle and it shut off haha. We were playing with so many variables that we were not sure what we changed to make it work a that point. We then changed our approach and only played with one thing at a time. We narrowed our problems down to the carb or timing, and thought we had the timing right...we will soon find out.

When you say the head was almost off, did you really mean the head, or the valve cover? Have you adjusted valves? Could be valve related, but get timing right first. Maybe not too late for Santa to bring a Haynes manual. Look on front pulley for a line with OT stamped beside it.