• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust And It's Travels, And Some Noted Hideouts

stone02

I still remember my former 74 2002 at Leif Andenberg's shop in Walnut CA in the early 90's. I had brought the 02 back with me from Germany where I was stationed in the early 80's. Needless to say, German road salt took its toll on my 02. Leif put my 02 on the lift but the car stayed on the ground and the lift kept on going up. That's how rusty the car was. Leif told me to find a good donor 02 (back when rust free shells in So Cal used to be plentiful and cheap) to transfer all the good parts into. Lucky for me, a few weeks later, a lady ran a stop light in front of me and the 02 was totaled (no one was injured) and the insurance company paid me for more than the 02 was worth considering the amount of rust in the car. I ended up buying the totaled 02 back from the insurance company and parting it out. I did find another So Cal complete 74 2002 for cheap and it was rust free. After that episode, I learned to hate rust. Bottom line, for your next 02, find one with the least amount of rust and body work that's possible (unless you are good welder). If that means going to CA or AZ to find a good car, do it. Mechanical work is childs play compared to rust and body work restoration.

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

... Leif put my 02 on the lift but the car stayed on the ground and the lift kept on going up. That's how rusty the car was. 

LOL.  I can recall seeing some older Mercedes (220 - 280) put on lifts (gingerly) and the 4-points of the lift kept going up as the car stayed down.   I was always afraid of working below them so sometimes we ended up putting them on the drive-on alignment lift.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 months later...

After seeing this discussion...i'm feeling pretty spunky about taking mine apart to make friends with the unknown.

IMG_4302_zps99829840.jpg

yikes...the rust on the bottom of that car is probably terminal.  all the moisture from the grass/ground has been breeding rust for a very long time...

2xM3

HAD,

this was the final resting place of the

body shell which i stripped.attachicon.gifphoto-14.JPG

i think this was paul wegweiser's first car.

so maybe he will see this post.

stone

I wouldn't have left the roof=)

Ola Gustafson
Sweden
-------------------
1975 Taiga Euro 2002 3685483 - Weber 38/38 DGMS - Pertronix Ignitor - H&R Cup Kit - TEP headers and Simons 2" sport exhaust - 3.91 LSD.

Bottom line, for your next 02, find one with the least amount of rust and body work that's possible (unless you are good welder). If that means going to CA or AZ to find a good car, do it. Mechanical work is childs play compared to rust and body work restoration.

+1.000.000 minimum

Regards from Germany (the land of the real salty winter roads in 70s and 80s),

Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

My wheels!  Good to know where they came from! :D

yes, picked clean.   i have sent parts from that car all over the country.  several of them are in my M2. 

the "before picking"

2012-10-07_07-49-15_284.jpg

post-43370-0-43884300-1395166747_thumb.j

Tim

Happy to be here folks....

Stable:

2012 Jeep MW3

1970 Ford Mustang

1969 BMW 1600-2

....... and you guys wonder why the really nice, rust free cars are valued "out of your price range".  (seriously shrinking supply--no pun intended.)

Just be thankfull you have what you have and take good care of it.

mac.