• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Required Reading?

BoyDush

Being very new to car tinkering, I was wondering if there was a required reading list for older BMWs or just tinkering in general to get caught up on during the dreary winter. My dad has owned several VWs, so I have a copy of John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" which is a great book in itself. Is there a similar must read for '02s? Thanks.

Vade

Thank you! I already own a '76 that I drove in high school as is but after leaving it sitting at my parents house for the last 5 years, I have decided to take on the project. Unfortunately the starter was seized (hopefully not the flywheel or something worse?) when I tried to start it, but I pulled that off yesterday and need to get it rehabbed before I really do anything else. Back to the point, I will definitely be looking for a copy of that book!

02 Restoration Guide by McCartney.  it is required to read cover to cover twice before starting to look for a 2002 to buy...

x2.

Also its very handy to have a copy of the factory manual (blue binder).  You can find the .pdf of it here http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/108461-shop-manual-pdf-for-download/ courtesy of eurotrash.