• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gouged By A Local Bmw Dealer

LimeySteve

When I need dealer-only stuff, I use GetBMWParts.com, which is the online-only parts counter at Tischer BMW in Maryland. The amount of discount off list varies, but it's usually quite good. A special circle of hell should be reserved for anyone who charges above dealer list.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

I generally buy from Blunt but on occasion I do buy from my local dealer. My experience is that it all depends on who you get behind he counter and what their mood is. Funny that I can't think of any other industry where the price has so much variation. I was talking to my non regular parts guy and he wanted 140 for a three bolt guibo. I passed.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Tell me about it, the BMW dealership in Calgary charged me 160 bucks for ten pieces of hardware to mount my m20 to my getrag 260, and an e30 engine mount.

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

I hate it when the 70's aren't included on a parts site. Thanks for the link though, the E36 will need parts.

When I need dealer-only stuff, I use GetBMWParts.com, which is the online-only parts counter at Tischer BMW in Maryland. The amount of discount off list varies, but it's usually quite good. A special circle of hell should be reserved for anyone who charges above dealer list.

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I hate it when the 70's aren't included on a parts site. Thanks for the link though, the E36 will need parts.

Look up the '70s part # at RealOem, then go to getbmwparts.com and insert the part #.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Canadians get railed. We are setting up in Canada and our initial pricing is double in most cases as in the USA.

Having lived in Canada with both my 530 and my 700, I don't recall EVER going to a dealer for parts.

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

I generally buy from Blunt but on occasion I do buy from my local dealer. My experience is that it all depends on who you get behind he counter and what their mood is. Funny that I can't think of any other industry where the price has so much variation. I was talking to my non regular parts guy and he wanted 140 for a three bolt guibo. I passed.

John

I know what you mean, I worked at Sherwin Williams for 5 years (quit recently) and we would charge some people 40$/gal of paint and then someone else would walk in and buy the same gallon for 30$. In return, everyone haggles.It sucks as a sales associate and as a buyer.

Canadians get railed. We are setting up in Canada and our initial pricing is double in most cases as in the USA.

so what causes the difference?

In canada we always wonder why the same objects cost more than the US, even if they are imported from asia/europe.  Some car models, built in Canada (Toyota for example), cost far less in the US. 

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)