• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

so..... my headlights were working fine for a long time.... one day i went in my car. turned them on..... and nothing. nothing on my hazards either. my turn signal/running lights work. and IIRC my brake on lights arent working either...

i replaced the front sealed beams. still nothing. went and followed the wires from the headlight all the way to dash, so i took my cluster out to make sure they had good contact with the switch. all seemed fine...

fuses are all fine as well. not really sure where else to check...

You might check the common ground for these  - many brown wires attached to inside fender I believe. but the side lights ground there too... I'd check anyway. Also try cleaning the fuse holders with fine emery paper and using new fuses.

i put a voltmeter on the ground and positive terms when i had to headlight switch pulled out. and it read 0. i will check the ground next time i look at it. my concern is i did not touch the headlight wiring AT ALL!! so i thought it was strange they just stop working out of no where.

Since you have a '72, the headlights are wired through the ignition so that when you turn the ign off, the headlights go off but not the parking lights or tail lights.  So, if your parking/tail lights are still working but not headlights, I'd check the wiring at the ign switch to see if it's feeding the "ign on only" side of the headlight switch.  Look for the green wires at terminal 15 on the ign switch.  They should be hot with the ign on.  Then go to terminal 30 on the headlight switch.  It should be hot with the ign on, but not with the ign off.  If all that checks out, then I'd start looking at the dimmer switch.  They don't go bad often, but they've been known to, and both low and high beam feeds go through it.

Also, on a '72, the low beams are fused, but not the high beams.  So if the low beams don't work but the high beams do, I'd suspect the relevant fuses.  If neither  work, then I'd go back to the feed from the ign switch.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I think even the old roundies used relays in the headlight circuits, but if they're like the later squaries, it's in a really, really dumb way where all of the high current STILL goes through either the ignition or the headlight switch.  I recently redid the wiring for all of the relays on my '75, both to add in Megasquirt and to also fix some of these oddities.  My wiring diagram is attached for your reference.  Ignore the wire colors, but I fuse #s and the switches are on there, so should help you to fairly easily rewire your headlight relays 'properly' which should lead your to determining and fixing your current problem, and then prevent it from happening again in the future.  HTH!

Relay_wiring.pdf

-Carl

so today i took my volt meter and check the connector again.... still 0. then i check my headight switch. and it reads 12v... so its somwhere in between there... i might just wire in my headlights to my turnsignal/running lights. but i rather find out whats wrong....