• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know what metric wrench size you use to turn the crank for my 1969 2002, Im trying to adjust the valves and what size do I need to remove the rear hub? thanks

post-46233-0-21711700-1389991940_thumb.j

US VIN 1662753 produced on July 29th, 1968 and delivered on August 5th, 1968 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Manila, paint code 004.

And mine is 1664801...BTW, it's just as easy to put the car in 4th gear and roll it back and forth to adjust the valves.  There's not much clearance for a 30mm socket on the crank when you're trying to clear the radiator and fan....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

try this; remove the plugs,  remove the cam/rocker cover, put car in neutral, grab the a fan blade with right hand, put tension on fan belt with left and give 'er a turn, now you're turning the cam.  while cam follower(rocker arm) is positioned on bottom of lobe adjust those valves.  just make a note of which valves you've adjusted and in no time at all, job done.  I can probably do the whole thing in less than 1/2 hour.

(by the way, just to be safe remove pos side battery cable and keys from ignition)

Gale

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Iturner, your '69 is a very early one--a "first series" '69 with a long-neck differential, inboard U-jointed rear axles instead of CV joints, a two (vs 3) speed heater, etc etc.  It may not have front seat headrests or side reflectors either.  Suspect it was built in Sept or so of '68, and all sorts of changes were made on cars built after 1 Jan '69.  An e-mail to BMW Classic (check archives for the address) will net you the actual build date of your car, original color, and to what organization it was delivered.

You have a real early bird there, take good care of it.  Not to many were sold, and fewer survive.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks Mike & Gale, fine tuning the engine this week and then on to the transmission and rear-end stuff.  I will try to find the BMW Classic stuff. take care

Ivan

US VIN 1662753 produced on July 29th, 1968 and delivered on August 5th, 1968 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Manila, paint code 004.

I took a quick look on this site, but was unable to come up with the BMW Classic e-mail address, any one have the e-mail address for BMW Classic or let me know where i might find it, would be helpful, take care

I took a quick look on this site, but was unable to come up with the BMW Classic e-mail address, any one have the e-mail address for BMW Classic or let me know where i might find it, would be helpful, take care

To get your manufacture date, elivery date and original colour, email your VIN to one of these:-

Andreas.Harz@partner.bmwgroup.com

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17