• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Check Aisle 2002..

88Henna

So, last year I sold my beloved E30 M3 (Henna) and a roundie finished in Agave that I had picked up as a "driving project" to help fund a Lotus Elise purchase.  After a few months of owning the Elise I realized quickly that was a total impulse decision, kinda like dating the really really hot girl in high school only to find out she was dumb as a box of sh-t and that you had nothing in common with her.  Not that the Elise is a box of S, just that we have little in common; it's not me (WAY too much attention, I mean, waaayyyy too much attention), not practical (cannot fit much more than a small duffle in the "trunk", and I cannot take my 4 yr old out in it.

Fast forward to modern day and I'm content with the idea of selling the Elise this spring and getting back into an '02.  

NOW, here's the $2002 question... where have prices on these gone now??? B/C the Tii's have nearly hit a level equal to the cost of that precious metal called un-obtainium! That is if they are in any type of decent shape.  

I am only in the market for a roundie and in a color either Golf, Colorado, Turkis, Baikal, Mintgrun, or Pastelblau.  (I know, I'm picky).

Anyway, I see one for sale on BAT which looks like a great survivor and exactly the color I want (Golf) but priced at $11,5k! That seems like quite a bit of money for a car in that condition, no? Or am I naive to think that these haven't hit that price-point yet? (honestly I thought a non-Tii car in 'driver' condition, finished in one of the more popular colors would fetch closer to the area of $7500)

I'd like some input from the pro's, thanks in advance for your time. 

Brian

yeah....you shudda kept that Henna.....

2002 prices are all over the map.  you are going to have to watch the market for a long time and jump when you see something that matches your needs and what your budget is.  there are still some that go cheap, and then there are a few that go for numbers that are just insane.

nowhere near the insanity in the e30 m3 market recently. 

2xM3

I am somewhat new to the world of BMW 02s and certainly no expert on them in particular, but I have enjoyed owning other collector cars and keep an eye on prices of old cars, particularly those on the big list of those I would like to own someday.

I really think even with prices going up they are still relative bargains compared to the rest of the collector car world, and people are bound to figure this out resulting in prices continuing trend up in the near term.

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

You're not making things easy, particularly given your narrow range of colors: other than Colorado, these are all relatively rare colors. They're also "hot" colors currently and I suspect the last two, Mintgrun and Pastelblau, were strictly square taillight colors. (I believe both appeared in late 1974.) So if you absolutely need one of the colors you listed, pray that any example you find is also a low-rust example. If the Golf car checks the color box and the low-rust box, don't pass on it.

Personally, I'd expand the color range to include a few more common colors.

Good luck with your re-entry to the '02 world!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Yup, shudda kept that Henna car is right. My wife even reminds me of that quite regularly.

I'm in NJ. However, I have no hesitation to have the right car shipped.

IMO the main reason we haven't seen prices of the 02 spike is due to their high production #'s.

The E30 M3 has damn near jumped 30% in just the past year. The E9 coupes have seen a good jump over the last few years as well, just to name a couple.

yeah, 2002's were econoboxes and hundreds of thousands were made.  not the same as e30 m3's or e9's.  every once in a while a really prime example fetches higher dollars which unfortunately makes some owners of much lessor quality cars think they are sitting on a goal mine...

fairly priced examples are out there, but as was mentioned you have narrowed your options considerably with your criteria.

2xM3

88Henna:

Prices are all over the map, from $350 to the high $20K range.  The roundie and color restrictions (Golf, Colorado, Turkis, Baikal) are going to make it even tougher to find a car in your $7,500 price range, but it is possible.  I looked for 4 years to find a decent Polaris/Navy Square-tail (non-1976) in CA and finally bought one last December for $5,000.

Conserv is right about Mintgrun and PastelBlau being only Square-Tail colors.  I love Mintgrun, but they are soooooo rare in decent shape.  Here's one in Florida that I would love to own in any State except California.  http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4282810702.html.  Lots of PastelBlau in CA, but most are 1976's, (I've owned 3 in this color).  If I had some spare cash I would buy this one...  http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4289395642.html

http://bimmer02.com/ can be your best friend in this search.  

Good luck,

Mark92131

88Henna:

Prices are all over the map, from $350 to the high $20K range.  The roundie and color restrictions (Golf, Colorado, Turkis, Baikal) are going to make it even tougher to find a car in your $7,500 price range, but it is possible.  I looked for 4 years to find a decent Polaris/Navy Square-tail (non-1976) in CA and finally bought one last December for $5,000.

Conserv is right about Mintgrun and PastelBlau being only Square-Tail colors.  I love Mintgrun, but they are soooooo rare in decent shape.  Here's one in Florida that I would love to own in any State except California.  http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4282810702.html.  Lots of PastelBlau in CA, but most are 1976's, (I've owned 3 in this color).  If I had some spare cash I would buy this one...  http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4289395642.html

http://bimmer02.com/ can be your best friend in this search.  

Good luck,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I was not aware those colors were on square tail cars.. I do have a bit more to learn.

I would open my options a bit to some colors like Riviera, Inka, & I even like Chamonix. The prior mentioned colors were my top choices I suppose. Ultimately it will come down to car condition.

I agree, it does seem every now and again a car in superb condition fetches big coin and then ppl think their car could do the same but the reality is the majority of the cars trading hands haven't hit that plateau yet.

I was not aware those colors were on square tail cars.. I do have a bit more to learn.

I would open my options a bit to some colors like Riviera, Inka, & I even like Chamonix. The prior mentioned colors were my top choices I suppose. Ultimately it will come down to car condition.

I agree, it does seem every now and again a car in superb condition fetches big coin and then ppl think their car could do the same but the reality is the majority of the cars trading hands haven't hit that plateau yet.

I hate to be the one to "rain on your parade", but in reality there are a lot fewer '02s around than we think there are.

Sure, BMW manufactured a bunch, but how many did Hoffman import and how many came home with armed forces personnel?

For forty years, accidents have claimed their share, crazy modifications continue, the rust worm never sleeps, cars get parted out,  etc.etc.

It may take you a while, but when you find one you can work with-----don't he$itate.

mac.  

PS.  Just as an example:  The official Hoffman sales figures for Tii's  is: 1972-2281; 1973-1268; 1974-2063. 

Edited by mac

Hello, please email me details of your cars. 25aegti at comcast dot net. Thanks

Brian

Nice email, you must be a VW guy as well ;)

I think some people are just plain old out of line with their pricing. Speaking of mintgrun, this just recently showed up on craigslist. Vancouver Canada though...

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4292601566.html