• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Check Aisle 2002..

88Henna

More and more I feel like I may start picking up some of the 2002's popping up. I've seen about 2 or 3 package deals lately for a good price, but I've also seen cars like mine start creeping towards the 5-6000 range. I'd definitely find a nice one and seal the deal as more and more cars are going up, heck miatas are going for almost 10 grand here and s2000's are sitting between 12-15 (my next possible purchase)

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

Great cars are where you find them. The 2002 is a pretty quiet collector car. But just let a few fine examples roll through Barret Jackson or Mecum and interest picks up fast. Look at the older 911 and 356 . Jag e types have gone off the scale. The key to this is be out there looking. Your car is out there but it may take some time. Most people with these cars know what they have. It took me a year to find a good example and I settled for a color that was not my favorite. Its growing on me as I realize how lucky I was to find it.

Edited by simonr

Get a square tail. They're cheaper, and I like the way the tail looks on em better :P But yah, the prices of these cars are seriously going up!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I am only in the market for a roundie and in a color either Golf, Colorado, Turkis, Baikal, Mintgrun, or Pastelblau.  (I know, I'm picky).

What's wrong with square taillights? Roundies seem to command a premium, but nice 74-76 cars can still be had for pretty cheap.

2002rear_zps3b2ad1ee.jpg

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

2002's are definitely going up in price.  When I was looking to buy in 2003, many of them were in the $3K - $4K range.  You'd need to bump that up a few thousand today.  The selection will be limited at any given time.  I had my choice of Malaga, Sahara and Chamonix.  It was as though the other paint codes didn't exist; almost all were squaretails.  I ended up very pleased with mine. Kudos to Simon for taking the torch and running with it.

Edited by Denker

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

88Henna:

Prices are all over the map, from $350 to the high $20K range.  The roundie and color restrictions (Golf, Colorado, Turkis, Baikal) are going to make it even tougher to find a car in your $7,500 price range, but it is possible.  I looked for 4 years to find a decent Polaris/Navy Square-tail (non-1976) in CA and finally bought one last December for $5,000.

Conserv is right about Mintgrun and PastelBlau being only Square-Tail colors.  I love Mintgrun, but they are soooooo rare in decent shape.  Here's one in Florida that I would love to own in any State except California.  http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/4282810702.html.  Lots of PastelBlau in CA, but most are 1976's, (I've owned 3 in this color).  If I had some spare cash I would buy this one...  http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4289395642.html

http://bimmer02.com/ can be your best friend in this search.  

Good luck,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

02 Sales figures in the US:  Approximately 88,000 2002s and 12,000 1600s were sold in the US--not counting any non US-VIN individual imports, which have to be in penny numbers.  

The majority of the 2002s were squarelights (approx 50,000), and only about 6000 or so tii's.  The earlier the roundie, the fewer were sold: only about 2500 or so in '68, rising to about 9,000 in 1973, plus just over 2000 tii's that year).

I've seen figures claiming about 15000 of all types are still around in the US, but not sure where that figure came from, or if it was just a WAG.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Only found two 2002s locally right now...

An "automatic transition" roundie in rough shape for $2500

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1978-BMW-2002-red-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ559299269

This one is a bit better but with hail damage for $2000

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1975-BMW-2002-W0QQAdIdZ501156739

Makes me feel better more and more about my $1500 purchase

Edited by 13

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

bottom line is that they will go up... supply and demand and older cars are making a come back.  

I could have bought a very nice E type jag for $6000 in 1983.  That same car is $60,000 plus now.

There are only so many 2002's out there... and they are the ideal car being reliable and easy to work on by just about anyone.

And another thing, parts are drying up.  I used to see lots of stuff popping up for sale.  Not as much anymore and interiors are getting harder and harder to find.

I have been looking for a set of tan 1974 seats for some time... nothing...

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

What's wrong with square taillights? Roundies seem to command a premium, but nice 74-76 cars can still be had for pretty cheap.

2002rear_zps3b2ad1ee.jpg

Totally agree that there are some great deals out there on square tail light 02's. If you happen to find an 02 with a Euro bumper conversion, snag it.  Square tail light 02's with a Euro bumper conversion look 100% better than the US spec diving board version. Check out the above pic for evidence.  In fact, I'll take a square tail light 02 with a Euro bumper conversion any day over a roundie.  IMHO, square tail light 02's just feel more solid than roundies. 

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner