• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hazzard Switch Problem

Napes

My Hazzard switch will not stay in and I can't find which fuse it's on. I removed each fuse, one at a time, and none of them would stop the flashers from flashing. I got out my big wiring diagram and can't figure out which fuse it should be from that. My fuse label under the hood says #8, but that does not stop the flasher. This is on a '75 automatic.  Does anyone know which fuse controls the hazzard switch?

I'm temporarily using the toothpick method to hold the button in until I can get a new switch, but if that fails while I'm on the road I'd like to know if any fuse will temporarily stop the flashing.

Bob Napier

I had this exact problem myself... I found that you cannot remove any fuse to stop the hazards from blinking. I used the same toothpick approach until I could replace the switch. Be sure to check the switch you have and order the correct version, ( with or without resistor), or be prepared to re-order which ever one you initially ordered. Good luck and keep a supply of toothpicks on hand as they never wait for a good time to fail. RR  :wacko:

RipR2

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2591740 was manufactured on June 4th, 1973 and delivered on September 14th, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Fjord metallic, paint code 037.

Wait.  So, I just rebuilt my console, and the switch crapped out during the work.  So I swapped in a one I had on the shelf. (Mine said "Hazard" the new one has the triangle.) Tell me about this resistor..?  You have me all concerned now.  LOL  I had no idea there were different switches..

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Wait.  So, I just rebuilt my console, and the switch crapped out during the work.  So I swapped in a one I had on the shelf. (Mine said "Hazard" the new one has the triangle.) Tell me about this resistor..?  You have me all concerned now.  LOL  I had no idea there were different switches..

AFAIK there's only one that's -08/73 and one that's 08/73-. Maybe he's referring to that?

Somewhere I remember reading about how to repair a hazard switch that wouldn't stay "in" (and thus off).  Not sure if it was on the FAQ or perhaps in one of Mike Miller's Tech Tips in an old Roundel.  But I think it was on the FAQ, and some time ago.  Try searching for "4 way flasher switch" or "hazard switch" and see what you can find.  They can be taken apart and successfully fixed.  

And if you find the reference, post it for the rest of us.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So I dont have any pictures right now but this is a very easy fix.  I can get pics this week if anyone wants them.  First you remove the switch from the center console or where ever you have it mounted.  Next you will see around the body of the switch several small square openings that appear to have a clip in them. These are what hold the top of the switch and the bottom together.  You just have to gently push those tabs in while gently prying up on the top of the switch.  I know this sounds tedious and it is.  You may have to have several tries at it till all of those tabs are out together.  When you get them all together the switch just pops in two pieces, watch for a spring under the red part of the switch.  Now on the side of one half you will see a little spring tab with a tong off of it.  You just bend that tab in to tighten the Switch.  Now try it to make sure everything is tight.

73 colorado orange 2002 in restoration

owned for 30years

71 2002 gone to parts heaven

72 2002 Malaga Sisters

05 Mini S Moms

FAQ member # 31

Somewhere I remember reading about how to repair a hazard switch that wouldn't stay "in" (and thus off).  Not sure if it was on the FAQ or perhaps in one of Mike Miller's Tech Tips in an old Roundel.  But I think it was on the FAQ, and some time ago.  Try searching for "4 way flasher switch" or "hazard switch" and see what you can find.  They can be taken apart and successfully fixed.  

And if you find the reference, post it for the rest of us.

cheers

mike

This is the hazard switch fix I saved a while back. maybe the one you're thinking of Mike.

http://www.zeebuck.com/bimmers/tech/hazardswitchfix/hazardswitchfix.html

Edit:

Words to go with the above link:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/33070-can-you-fix-a-hazard-switch/?hl=hazard+switch+can+repaired#entry725385

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17