• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Midwesterners & Northeasters Don't Drive Their 02S In The Winter

Mike Self

From our local TV station news this morning (approximate quote):  "District 8, Ohio Dept of Transportation reported that thus far this winter they have used 64,000 tons of salt on the state roads in the 8 counties surrounding Dayton and Cincinnati.  This is twice as much salt as was used all last winter."

This doesn't include what counties and cities have used...our town (40,000 residents) has used 5100 tons so far...

All you folks in the SE, SW and California:  see why our cars hibernate from December to April?

cheers (as his teeth chatter)

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I don't think people in California or Az or any desert place know what it's like to wake up day after day of 4-6 inches of snow a night. Come to Canada, we will show you what winter is all aboot :D

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

I don't think people in California or Az or any desert place know what it's like to wake up day after day of 4-6 inches of snow a night. Come to Canada, we will show you what winter is all aboot :D

we keep getting your winter! please keep your arctic air above the border. pretty please!

sincerely,

your frozen neighbor

mike tunney

7deg here in dc too.

<note - i am originally from the NE. driving in snow is not an issue>

token 4in of snow here yesterday during the day. part of my drive home was on an unplowed highway. I was driving my "snowmobile"...1986 325E with blizzacks on all four corners. zero issues. great car in a storm! E30's rock!

however, the drive was entertaining. 3 SUV's, one P/U and a Honda Accord went sailing off the road in single car incidents ahead of me due to their inept driving and summer or no-season tires. sheesh.

then there is the salt...on the way to worktoday, the 495 beltway was dry, but had so much salt on it that the salt looked like snow and was piled up between the lanes and along the side of the road. then add the snow plow driving down the middle of the 95 dumping more rock salt! front of car and windshield sounded like gravel was being thrown at it. argh. I need to move back to Miami.

2xM3

You know that scene in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" where Judge Doom kicks over the 55 gallon drum of "dip" and Benny The Cab drives through it and screams "OW OW OW OW OW OW" as the dip starts to eat his tires? That's always what I imagine a vintage car is doing when exposed to salt.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

what it's like to wake up day after day of 4-6 inches of snow a night.

Grew up south of Buffalo.  Try 46 inches of snow in a night.  THAT will guarantee a snow day.

4-6 inches is pretty normal, and doesn't get you out of anything...

And amusingly, the Salt Flats cars have corrosion problems!

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

token 4in of snow here yesterday during the day. part of my drive home was on an unplowed highway. I was driving my "snowmobile"...1986 325E with blizzacks on all four corners. zero issues. great car in a storm! E30's rock!

however, the drive was entertaining. 3 SUV's, one P/U and a Honda Accord went sailing off the road in single car incidents ahead of me due to their inept driving and summer or no-season tires. sheesh.

I took my son out driving in the last storm so he could start learning to drive in the snow and warned him that it's the idiots in the SUVs you have to watch out for.

Yesterday I drove past an SUV that was stuck going up a hill in my 535.  Snow tires rock!

Matthew Cervi
'71 Bavaria

'18 M2

I took my son out driving in the last storm so he could start learning to drive in the snow and warned him that it's the idiots in the SUVs you have to watch out for.

Yesterday I drove past an SUV that was stuck going up a hill in my 535.  Snow tires rock!

On the theme of idiots in SUVs:  Awhile back I was driving up Mt. Spokane in a steady snowfall in economy rental car.  I was driving very slowly and carefully as the wheels were slipping in the snow.  Behind me was an obnoxious guy in a 4x4 tailgating me.  Then we round a curve and there on the other side of the road is Jeep Cherokee rotating slowly on its roof like the police car in that scene from the Blues Brothers movie.  After that, the guy behind me eased off a bit.  Great skiing on the top though.

hnichols

Having grown up in OH and having lived in NYC for 9 years, that's precisely why I moved to CA. The "Snowpocalypse" of late 2010 was the final nail in the coffin for my living in NYC.

mlytle:   Right!  My '87 325 eta with cheap snow tires does much better than the boneheads trying to prove something in their SUV's and trucks.   Weird - we've not had the warm Gulf coast weather pattern move in to give us some fair-weather driving. Usually we get a few breaks from the cold, snow and ice.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Mike,

I've spent much of my free time this winter underneath a very rusty '00 Subaru, and '92 Miata.  It is not a pleasant experience, and always plan on breaking a bolt or two and drilling and extracting....    working on the '02 or Datsun is about 10 times easier, so they shall stay inside far longer.  Hopefully we replace the Subaru soon.  At 173K miles, it's time for lots of things to go wrong.... 

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser