• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Midwesterners & Northeasters Don't Drive Their 02S In The Winter

Mike Self

Even though I am a SoCal flatlander, I have a tiny bit of experience with cold weather.  Years ago I did some work along the Alaska pipeline.  Fairbanks in November, then up to Prudhoe Bay during December and January.

Those sorts of "paid vacations" made me appreciate SoCal even more.  I stay here and don't mind paying extra for the fantastic weather.  But the weather isn't always "perfect."  I was up above Pasadena one evening in December a few years ago and put the car cover on since I was parked outdoors.  It rained that night.  The next morning the car cover was frozen-in-place.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

I'm one of the "boneheads" driving an SUV in the snow.  Last weekend to Beckley, WV (snow) and yesterday/today to NC (snow).

I was amazed at the slow speeds of folks on the drive down to NC last night (I stayed in Burlington).  I was going at least 5 mph under the speed limit at some points on I-95 and folks were putzing along in the left lane (afraid to move over due to the slush between lanes).  I had to stop twice to clean off the grill because it was blocked by snow/slush/ice thrown mainly by truckers. 

My driver's ed training was during this time of year in the snow.  I'm used to it.

mlytle:  My V/P of Production at work installed a set of Blizzaks from Tire Rack on his 2012 M-B and loves them.  His commute from Gainesville to Woodbridge is pretty tough.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

My V/P of Production at work installed a set of Blizzaks from Tire Rack on his 2012 M-B and loves them.

Blizzaks? Great snow tires!

Hakkapeliitta R2s? Even better!

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

In Canada you learn to embrace the snow. 328xi baby. Heavy snow means less idiots on the road... And more space for this idiot to have fun. This is me arriving at work... Slippery parking lot, traction controll and stability control mysteriously, and temporarily malfunctioned. Spasm in right foot and left arm.

post-43382-0-69304800-1390447864_thumb.j

Edited by gliding_serpent

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

In Canada you learn to embrace the snow. 328xi baby. Heavy snow means less idiots on the road... And more space for this idiot to have fun. This is me arriving at work... Slippery parking lot, traction controll and stability control mysteriously, and temporarily malfunctioned. Spasm in right foot and left arm.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

don't ever grow up! that looks like so much fun!!

mike tunney

Yeah, I love driving in the snow--great fun so long as the slowpokes and idiots stay out of your way.  It's the road salt that I have a problem with.

I used to take my 92 year old Mom out in a big empty parking lot and do snow donuts in the 2002--she loved it!  Her brother used to do the same thing with his Model T in a muddy field when she was a little girl back in Alabama.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I think salt brine is worse than crystal form of salt. Brine is used freely on roads here in southwestern Virginia and for days after application, generally till a good rain washes it away, the roads look like they've been painted white. When driving and light conditions are right, it appears as if there is a light fog suspended above the roadway by cars traveling at speed. This salt fog must get into every nook and cranny of our older cars and newer cars. Also if not using recirc available on newer cars, we're probably breathing a lot of salt dust/road grime as this stuff is drawn thru the cars.

When I was working, I drove the fam vehicle to work and didn't drive my 02 at all during winter, since retirement, I've had to drive it more on treated roads, but still try to limit how much I drive it.

maybe time to consider buying a third sacrificial car.

Gale

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

Luckily(?) my 02 was toast already in all the common rust areas, so we could run it around in the snow and not feel too bad.

ibkQHcG0M3wmdF.jpg

Now that it's all apart and I can see all the rust, I'm finding it difficult to understand how it held together while we were drifting it around.    :lol:

'86 e28 535i - Schwartz on Schwartz "Daily Driver"

'72 e10 2002 - In Progress "Go-Box"

This is a beautiful video.  I remember driving mine in Minnesota in 1978-9. I felt like this while driving in the snow, okay no snickers.  It's amazingly quiet and serene driving on snow pack.  The car handling was excellent, two winters and only SAS tires. 

I'm positive the winters doomed the car.

Don

Hey! Add us (Canadian) wet coasters to the list.  Salt trucks are out here too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhPYb9Qrxwk  (just for fun)

:-)

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Uh-Oh they just announced they have 60 tons of Salt for the roads if it gets icy here in south Louisiana.

Can't imagine 60 tons will go very far.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Uh-Oh they just announced they have 60 tons of Salt for the roads if it gets icy here in south Louisiana.

Can't imagine 60 tons will go very far.

Don

Are you sure that wasn't allotted for the margaritas?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"