• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasonability Check

Roundeie

Doing a reasonability check on a mechanics quote for the following:

Remove exhaust from resonator back

Remove driveshaft

Replace guibo

Refresh rear seals on 4 speed (trans in car)

Replace driveshaft 

Replace exhaust.

(Driveshaft u-joints replaced, center bearing replaced, balanced - all done by a different shop so don't need the time for this)

Just wonder how many hours I should consider reasonable to complete this work. Thanks for any input.

I agree with 4 if everything goes smoothly.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I see this too often. It's really hard to just shoot from the hip and say it's going to take 4 hours without seeing the car.

Look at it from the shop's perspective. If you've never been there before, they don't know what they're getting into (Rust, Customer's Expectations, Maybe said customer has never even been under the car and thinks things will just come apart easily.)

That said, you've got to pay to play, or put the time in and save the dough. 

I would think 4-6 hours would be a fair starting point. 

clutchCTRL!

Move with a purpose.

1991 325iX 4dr/5spd I 2000 323i I 76 2002 - M20/G260 - in progress.

I look at everything from a shop's perspective... for 27+ years. If the fasteners aren't rusted globs of shit I can very safely estimate about 4 hrs. labor on the work the OP requested. Also consider the reason for using the word "estimate."

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

Didn't want to go thru the whole story on the board but Here goes:

I've dealt with this shop for almost 20 years. They've taken care of 3 BMWs for me and now started doing some work on the Golf Yellow '72 I purchased 8 months ago. To let u know what their history is with my cars here is a snippet.

My 1976 3.0Si - I sourced a used 635i motor, tranny and driveshaft. They fabricated what was needed to complete the install, got it in and tuned for CA DMV cert.

'72 Golf: I needed the items done I listed so I left the car early December and asked for an estimate. Two weeks later asked for an estimate. After Christmas asked for a timeline and estimate. Got a call early January after asking again and was told to come pick the car up, drive over the weekend and call back Monday. Did that, and my guy could not give me a number stating tech working on it had put in too many hours and he would sort it out and let me know.

Fast forward to yesterday when I got a call saying first cut was 23 hours of work plus the driveshaft outsource. He Cut to 12 hours and driveshaft outsource. $1750 total.

I'm shocked. No estimate ever. 12 hours? I don't think that's reasonable. I've removed two gearboxes and driveshafts from junkyard cars in the last month with my tools and no lift. Took 4 hours each. I'm not a seasoned mechanic but I'm no idiot.

Edited by Roundeie

Schaatz and Krum charged me $309 for replacing rear seals on back of tranny (which requires removal of driveshaft) AND tuning my Tii to reduce hunting -- this was soon after I bought the car early in 2012.  So, what this shop is charging is way too high IMO.

BTW, what is driveshaft outsource?  You've already have it rebuilt.

When a retail repair shop who knows your vehicle gives you a ridiculously high estimate it's usually because they don't really want the job..."We'll do it for you but it's going to cost you."

Technically, they probably violated CA law through their failure to provide at least a verbal estimate (possibly a written one) and get your authorization. Debatable whether it's worth pursuing though. Just letting members here know how you were treated may impact their bottom line. As a shop owner, I would NEVER gouge a customer like that. What goes around....