• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a question for you about my '70 2002.

When I purchased it, my friend told me that the last time it ran he could shift into gear, but it would just grind and not engage.

After getting the engine running, in spite of a leaky/sticking clutch pedal I tried to see if the thing would at least begin to drive forward and it stalled immediately, suggesting that the clutch was engaged.

Forward a few months and yesterday I finally got a new slave cylinder installed and I was surprised to observe that when installed I'm unable to pull the Clutch Release Arm (towards the rear of the car, disengaging the clutch, i believe) by hand. I thought that it should move a little, but I can only move it towards the front of the car causing the Slave Cylinder to compress. Is this normal? And if not, I read in the Hayne's manual that if the Clutch fails to disengage that the: 

Driven plate sticking on input shaft splines due to rust. May occur after vehicle standing idle after long period.

Am I headed down the right road? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks a ton!

The clutch fork shouldnt move forward at all. At least mine doesnt... Good chance yes that your clutch disk is rusted to the flywheel and pressure plate. Easy way to check for sure is to have someone push on the clutch pedal and if the clutch fork moves its probably froze. If the clutch for doesnt move you have air in the system.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Yah, the big arm that goes into the transmission 

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

If the pedal is moving the arm back and forth, and has some resistance, the disc may be stuck to either the plate or the flywheel. You can try popping it. Get car pointed down the street or a long driveway, start car in neutral, let engine warm up, turn it off, put car in first gear (reverse works too but harder to steer and do the following), keep clutch pedal fully depressed (released), start car. It will start rolling. Jab the gas pedal a few times, being alert to get off the gas in a hurry once it releases. I've also seen it done by getting up some speed and slamming on the brakes (clutch released). Take appropriate precautions for all of this.