• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box Parts

billjecks

Does anyone have a good used bearing ring for a 73 tii steering box? Cannot locate a new one. This is the one that sits directly below the shims, part # 32111110268. And if anyone knows of a source for the bearings that would be helpful as bmw wants toooooo mucch for them.

cheers,

Bill

73 tii

Vancouver BC

Hey Bill,

Take your bearings and seals to BC Bearing or other similar supplier.  I believe they are very common (and cheap).

Joysterm/mike... I may have to visit you just to see what you have, and I don't have.   Call me 604 689 3008 with your address.

Thanks,

Paul

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Hey Bill,

Take your bearings and seals to BC Bearing or other similar supplier.  I believe they are very common (and cheap).

Joysterm/mike... I may have to visit you just to see what you have, and I don't have.   Call me 604 689 3008 with your address.

Thanks,

Paul

73 Inka Tii #2762958

well bc bearing can get me nothing , and there is no number of significance on the part. The seals are not an issue. Maximillian says they

can order it from germany but I use the same sources in germany who list it but tell me they do not actually have it so I do not beleive them

and from what I have heard should not trust them anyways. joystern do you know the condition of the used box? Have you looked inside?

Bill

73 tii

vancouver

Bill, have you contacted ZF--the folks that made the steering box in the first place?  I'd be very surprised if the bearing they used was unique to that application; it's gotta be a standard-sized ball bearing that has hundreds of applications in all sorts of things. They should be able to give you dimensions:  OD, ID and width.  Take that to a bearing shop and they should be able to find it by size rather than application.

I've only run across one truly odd-sized bearing in many years of messing with cars--the rear axle bearing on my Fiat Topolino.  It's some weird fractional metric size that doesn't show up in any bearing reference books.  Hope I never need one because if I do I'm gonna have to machine out the mount in the rear axle to fit a "standard" bearing.

Good luck; share what you find.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

There are two variations of bearings/races in the steering box.  Earlier boxes have bearings enclosed in steel cages whereas the later boxes have bearings enclosed in plastic cages.  The later style also has the race shim (which your looking for) while the earlier steel caged setups simply have a thicker race.  Bear in mind that ETK (realoem, etc.) does not differentiate this (since it was likely an internal change made by ZF and not BMW).

The bearings and races are not available from any bearing supplier I have found (had dimensions and manufacturer's part numbers), so it's dealer only until BMW runs out.  As an interesting note, the best supplier I know said that the number cross-referenced some long NLA bearings designed for Boeing of all things.

EDIT:  May have actually flip-flopped the early and late, will check my notes on Monday and revise if necessary.  Sorry guys.

Edited by AceAndrew

About three years ago, a former employee of ZF confirmed that the Inventory Manager at ZF scrapped all the rebuilding components of our steering boxes 'cause the one warehouse skid they were all concentrated in was deemed "Slow Moving Stock".  Too slow moving for his/her liking!   Into the dumpster it went! 

Bearings and races went NLA many years ago. Try and find a good Roller/Main Shaft.   

ZF does not provide a rebuilding service any more.

Looks like we're "on our own".

mac.