• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bigfoot

I have taken over a project from someone that ran out of steam so I am trying to figure out how some of these things go together as I didn't see how they were from the start.

Current problems- horn only works when the lights are turned on.

- washer pump not working it has power, I tested it and it works seems to be a ground issue or something.

73, tii

Horn issue:  check all fuses first--make sure they're clean, their holders are clean and the fuses themselves are not worn out (they do that!).   Then get our your multimeter and start checking the circuit.  Since the horn does work with the lights on, that means the horns and relay are OK, as is the wiring that runs from the steering wheel to the horns themselves.  Since it's a grounding circuit, it sounds like there's a bad ground somewhere.  Check the jumper wire where the steering column fastens to the steering box via a flex coupling.  If that's missing, the horn ground will be very chancy.  

Also remember that the horn only works with the ign on--same with the headlights.  See if the horn will work with only the parking/tail lights on (they will work with the ign off).  If that's the case, it sounds like someone has messed with the wiring, possibly getting a hot lead off a convenient wire rather than the way the factory intended.  As has been pointed out, then you'll need to check the car's wiring against a factory wiring diagram for anomalies...

Washer pump:  it's probably stuck--they do that.  If there's current flowing to the wires that serve the pump, that's probably the case.  I did a Roundel column on resurrecting stuck washer pumps; drop me an e-mail with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Keep us posted on whatcha find...make it a learning experience for all of us.

cheers

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite