• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cars With Scheel Seats - Correct Interior Fabric?

pehlivanov_tii

Thanks, guys,

My car is 73 tii, so actually i will not pay attention if some options became available after '74 or '75. I will leave the front as they are at the moment and i will reupholster my rear seat with the stock 02 fabric. Obviously that's how it should be. :)

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

150-200 local.......!!!!*****????????

find me some!!!!...

Illl give you 450!!!!

for cloth, if u need...........you can also try NML depot in germany......Gerrit is his name....he may have...not sure..

SMS is good stuff too.......

Yes, Garrit Blankman (http://www.nml-depot.de/nmldepot006.htm) does carry a very close match to the black Scheel cloth.  He also sells excellent reproductions of the headrests too. 

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

who cares?  Just take off the covers and box them up.  Have new ones made that match the Scheels.  If you have to sweat originality to a buyer, swap them back to original... But if you do it well, it will be a selling point.

deleted :)

Edited by pehlivanov_tii

Yes, Garrit Blankman (http://www.nml-depot.de/nmldepot006.htm) does carry a very close match to the black Scheel cloth.

Yes, he does. But it seems to highly depend on his daily mood if he will single-sell you some meters of the cloth or tell you you´ll have to bring your seats and have them recovered by him completely if you wanna have his cloth.

Other sources available though. Try to look out among the US Porsche guys, they had factory Scheels in some of their cars, too.

Regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

I know the recaro optioned seats were vinyl, as seen in the turbo.

Factory sport seats in turbo were not Recaro but Rentrop. I´ve heard very few turbos had special option leather but I´ve never seen that in person. Majority came with the newer BMW vinyl with the holes.

post-36854-0-07834600-1392033866_thumb.j

Backseats from turbo where the only original 02 backseats I´ve ever seen to not have the darts running from top to bottom but from left to right.

post-36854-0-90928800-1392034009_thumb.j

post-36854-0-17707100-1392034024_thumb.j

Regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

The Scheel cloth is long NLA, but there is a company in the Pacific North West that carries a strong replica. Here's a photo of a sample I requested a couple years ago when I had another set that I was looking to recover. The black is the new, the brown is from the seats I had at the time..  You can see the two variations they offer.  One is obviously too narrow.  The other is a tad too wide, but very close.  If you used that for rear seats, no one would know the difference.

IMG_8651-1.jpg

The original Scheel fabric is still available as a reprodcution from some sources. But be careful, this Perloncord with its wide rips is really special and I´ve not yet seen anything else to match it closely.

This is the original fabric:

post-36854-0-96157000-1392036114_thumb.j

post-36854-0-29697200-1392036133_thumb.j

I´ve seen that in colours blue, green, beige and brown also - maybe even more were available from Scheel, I´m not sure.

The brown fabric on your picture is not Scheel, it is BMW E12 (for german cars only for the bigger engined 6-cylinders). Rips are quite different (wider with bigger intervals also) and fabric is smoother and feels way less "plastic" than the original Scheel Perloncord. Was to come with the factory sport seats for E12 both Recaro and Scheels also.

post-36854-0-05753800-1392036807_thumb.j

post-36854-0-82955400-1392036877_thumb.j

post-36854-0-07213200-1392036889_thumb.j

This picture pehlivanov has linked to

post-36854-0-33612900-1392037010_thumb.j

shows a BMW 02 backseat from the special "Luxus" option available for 74 and 75 Euro cars. One thing to mention: Rear shelf is wrong on that photo - "Luxus" cars came with special velours carpet and not the standard salt/pepper according to what the rear shelf in real L cars is covered with that velours carpet also.

The special L fabric (velvet on the outsides and Nylonflock corduroy in the middle) is also in no way near to the original Scheel fabric. There are no real intervals or ribs, it´s just the webbing that makes it look like this on photos. Additionally the "ribs" are a good bit smaller than on the Scheel Perloncord. L backseats had an armrest in the middle from factory. Factory sport seats were not available in combination with "Luxus" option - my second photo with the Recaro is just a "they could´ve done it like that back in the times" thingy.

post-36854-0-39821900-1392037685_thumb.j

post-36854-0-97035900-1392037716_thumb.j

Not easy to distingiush the differences just from photos though, best would be to have all fabrics in hand to touch and compare directly. Sorrowly yet not possible through the internet though we´re already in the age of 3-dimensional printing.

Regards, Lars.

Edited by LarsAlpina

Já nevím, možná zítra.

My question is:

if a car has factory option scheels with this type of fabric what should be the correct fabric on the rear seats. I will not recover my scheels, because as you can see on the picture they are like new, but i have to recover my rear seat and i want to know what should be the correct fabric for it?

Still one more to come, takes me some time to gather all the needed photos on my computer.

For the factory option 02 sport seats I have seen Recaros with BMW fabric on them:

post-36854-0-76099600-1392038712_thumb.j

post-36854-0-64121300-1392038740_thumb.j

More than on these two photos I´ve also seen other colors and all the types of the more common fabrics used in 02 (68-71, 71-73, 73-77). Vinyl was available as the older Flechtnarbe and the newer one with the holes. In none of these cars I´ve ever seen a backseat different from what a car with stock front seats and the same interior would have had.

Only one exception for tourings with Rallyepaket: For those the backseats also had the white piping that was the special gimmick on Rallyepaket front Recaros.

post-36854-0-54330900-1392053016_thumb.j

post-36854-0-32118400-1392053034_thumb.j

But nevertheless even on those backseats the darts run from top to bottom and not from left to right.

Now for the Scheel factory sport seats I´ve never seen even a single one with any kind of 02 fabric on it. All I saw had the Scheel Perloncord. Well, I know that my personal experience can in no way count as hard evidence - maybe I´ve simply just not seen the right Scheel. But in this accessories brochure the Recaro has late 02 series fabric on it, Scheel comes with Scheel Perloncord (bad quality scan, sorry - clearly to be seen in real brochure). If Scheels were available in 02 fabric why didn´t they use one of those for the photo?

post-36854-0-33940500-1392054098_thumb.j

Backseats in those "Scheel-ed" cars came as stock as mentioned above with the contemporary 02 cloth for the car´s date of make - with that difference was not only in darts but also in fabric.

Last but not least to come to the sport seats not exactly from BMW but from the Motorsport GmbH, not sure if that will count as "factory" for you. Motorsport offered both Recaro and Scheel, too, but they offered a wider model range (not only 200 but also 100, 400 and 500 for Scheel / not only Recaro Idealsitz 1 but also Idealsitz 2 and Rallye 2 for Recaro). Seats came plain-colored but also with Motorsport stripes on them.

post-36854-0-98596300-1392055693_thumb.j

post-36854-0-07480200-1392055722_thumb.j

post-36854-0-63232700-1392055803_thumb.j

post-36854-0-80288300-1392055829_thumb.j

For this Motorsport fabric on Scheel front seats

post-36854-0-43475300-1392055742_thumb.j

post-36854-0-16006700-1392055778_thumb.j

I have proof that the special backseats came with the car from new on:

post-36854-0-96457500-1392055759_thumb.j

But again this is E12 and I´ve never seen anything similar in an 02.

So that´s what I know on backseats with factory front sport seats.

Regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Thanks for the update and info, Lars :) Seems like back in the days they didn't pay so much attention on the details and i guess the option "Sport seats" include only mounting the seats in the look how they receive them from Scheel and Recaro. Seems like they didn't recover them in stock 02 fabric or recover the back seats in "Scheel" fabric to match the front sport seats. And if we think a little bit it's normal. It was cheaper for BMW and after all, the 02's were the lowest class in the model range from BMW.

For a higher class model like 5er E12 it is understandable the fabric of front and rear seats to match.

Thanks for the update and info, Lars :) Seems like back in the days they didn't pay so much attention on the details and i guess the option "Sport seats" include only mounting the seats in the look how they receive them from Scheel and Recaro. Seems like they didn't recover them in stock 02 fabric or recover the back seats in "Scheel" fabric to match the front sport seats. And if we think a little bit it's normal. It was cheaper for BMW and after all, the 02's were the lowest class in the model range from BMW.

For a higher class model like 5er E12 it is understandable the fabric of front and rear seats to match.

Well,

that´s not exactly what I wrote I think. Recaros were to come with 02 fabric. Just for the Scheels to my experience it seems they didn´t. But no special backseat either way.

More than a matter of class to me it seems a matter of year. For E12 and also E21 there were even no factory sport seats available from BMW before 76 or 77 (additional Motorsport options were still not very known in that early years and therefor rare).

For the turbo they made a consistent looking backseat but that was already 74 when production range of 02 series nearly came to the end.

Regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Well,

that´s not exactly what I wrote I think. Recaros were to come with 02 fabric. Just for the Scheels to my experience it seems they didn´t. But no special backseat either way.

Regards, Lars.

Yes, my question was for the Scheels, because i have a set and wanted to know how should my backseat look. :)

Edited by pehlivanov_tii