• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vdo Oil Pressure Sender Install

bnam

I got a vdo 0-80 gauge this am from a PnP, so searched a bit on what sender I should use.

Does the sender use a M12 size thread?  If so, this seems to be the sender:

http://www.vdo-instruments.com/sensors/pressure-sensors-switches.html?max_sender_value=511&prod_sec_sub_type=1461&thread=482

Can it be installed directly without an adaptor?   A few pics that came up in search show an adaptor being used.

Thx,

Byas

I agree with Tim up above. I had a 5 bar gauge for a while and when the motor was cold, the needle would bang against the stop because the pressure was too high. But, PnP prices are hard to beat and it's certainly better than no gauge. Once the car warms up it won't be an issue anyway.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

You'll be fine with the 0-80 VDO oil pesssure gauge.  I've had one in Hans for going on 10 years and the range is more than adequate.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Does a washer need to be used with the sender?  Some ebay pics show a washer.  I think not, but wanted to confirm.

B

Might want a copper crush washer in there...it's oil,(and pressure!) right?

M12 threads right in, M10 needs an adaptor.

bob

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

If you want to use the oil temp gauge, look carefully at your oil filter housing.  On the 71 and later cars, there's a small dimple in the casting--that's where the oil line that services the injector pump goes on a tii, but it's undrilled on the carbureted cars.  You can drill and tap that for the temp sender unit, and you'll have oil temperature as it leaves the filter.  

Nice score on the gauges, BTW.  But if you live in a cold climate, be advised that running 20w-50 on a really cold morning, I've pegged my 150psi gauge.  Even with temps in the 20s, I've seen well over 100psi--on a 200k engine.  So be careful.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If you want to use the oil temp gauge, look carefully at your oil filter housing.  On the 71 and later cars, there's a small dimple in the casting--that's where the oil line that services the injector pump goes on a tii, but it's undrilled on the carbureted cars.  You can drill and tap that for the temp sender unit, and you'll have oil temperature as it leaves the filter.  

Nice score on the gauges, BTW.  But if you live in a cold climate, be advised that running 20w-50 on a really cold morning, I've pegged my 150psi gauge.  Even with temps in the 20s, I've seen well over 100psi--on a 200k engine.  So be careful.

mike

I agree w/ Mikey…I see over 90 on cold day start ups.

Yep with what Mike said.  Thick oil + cold temps = high pressure.  I've seen pressure as high as 70 psi in my car, and that's only running Red Line 15/50.  In Houston, where it doesn't get crazy cold.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.