• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just wanted to take a minute to give a more recent review on the Ireland Engineering exhaust system.  While doing my research online for different exhaust options, I have seen a bunch of mixed reviews on the FAQ and social media regarding IE, so I just wanted to chime in with a little review of my own because some of those posts were older and out dated. In the process of doing other work under the car, I cut out and removed the rusty, stock exhaust and replaced it with headers back IE setup.   

First off, I spoke with Andrew from IE over the phone and he was very knowledgeable and helpful - not quick to process my information and get me off the phone.  He handled all of my questions well, and owning an 02 himself made the Q and A session I had with him very simple and easy.  

The packages were delivered in a timely manner and everything was packed away nicely.  Someone had said something about the header flange not being trued or straight, but that wasn't the case in the slightest - perfectly flat and ready to be married to the M10.

Everything went together seamlessly and smoothly.  No parts were missing and everything fit snug the way it should. 

One small issue I had with it was that the hangers in the muffler section weren't sitting quiet right.  The muffler section needed to come towards the front of the car about a half of an inch or so in order to get the hangers to sit properly straight up and down.  We tried hammering the exhaust tighter together, but there was just no more room to do so.  Having met that wall, we decided to cut a tiny piece out of the subframe section of the exhaust in order to slip the muffler section further onto the pipe.  This took all of an extra 10 minutes to do with the proper tools.  It would have fit regardless, I just wanted it to be a little better - by no means am I trying to take that away from IE's quality because it is superb! 

I love the way this exhaust sounds and everyone else agrees.  It has a throaty tone for being a little 4cyl.  The deep sound it makes gives this car just the right amount of aggression without sounding ricey.  I definitely recommend this to anyone looking to get a new exhaust for their car! 

Enough of the talking - on to some pictures! 

12291370835_47e67c419a_c.jpg

12291370795_0fdf1ebafc_c.jpg

12291791114_bbc147e633_c.jpg

12291522513_aaf257d8ba_c.jpg

12291925286_eb10f63f51_b.jpg

1972 2002tii // 2008 M3

It has 0 drone (IMO) with this setup. Only difference in mine I have a Stahl header. Im not 100% liking of the tone, I'm from the v8 world... But I plan to do a little tweaking and see where it goes.

Overall, Fantastic kit for the price! If I had another 02 I'd buy another kit! I talked to Andrew about the new square tail fitment and he got right on it! I only have about 200 miles on my kit thus far cause I put it on at the end of October then pulled the motor mid November  :rolleyes:

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Nice installation. Did you reuse the stock support at the transmission? I could not tell from your pictures.

I don't think they did Jim.  I've been running the IE header for years.  Where the stock mount would sit on that header is right on the collector, where all 4 pipes come together.  So, the stock support doesn't fit.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I've had my IE stainless on for about 2 months now. No fit issues, as mine is from the factory Y back (I do have a header, but am waiting for the funds to weld in an O2 sensor). It definitely changes the feel of the vehicle, though I do not think my exhaust was factory as it was.

It went from a general, no thrills, no-nonsense sound that just fades away as nothing, to a very toned note. Some days I love the sound, some days it just sounds a bit off. Doesn't really sing until around 3-5k, so driving around neighborhoods can be quite enough. 

I don't seem to have a decent clip of the exhaust but I'll make my own very soon. 

Daily '74 BMW 2002 w/ Dual 40's

Signature

Visit my Wheelwell to see what I've done to the car

Here's a short Youtube video of my 1975 BMW 2002 with an IE Shorty Header connected to their SS Exhaust System.  I had some fitment issues because I used a stock downpipe and there was some rubbing as it passed over the rear subframe, but once this was sorted, things were good, loud, but not too loud.  I also included a link to a short test drive after installation with my two kids in the back taking the video.

Thanks,

Mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqDl5NH6Qps

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)