• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Seen This Blasphemy

ma.jomaa

Anyone care to point how this new stupid 2 series pays any tribute to the 02?

I'm no car designer but for the life of me I can't see anything that remotely resembles our beloved 02's. What the hell is going on with BMW, they re-badge the 3 series coupe and call it a 4 series, they come up with a GranCoupe 6 series(really a 4 door 6 series) and now this shit. I thought it was a 3 series until the end of the commercial.

Why can't BMW take note of what Ford did when they resurrected the mustang , If you were going to create a whole "new" series(I put new in quotations as I believe our cars are the true 2 series) to pay tribute to the 02. Why not make a car that's a little boxier(I'm all for aerodynamics but come on), why not put that straight one piece or two piece minimalist dash and get rid of the gizmos and gadgets and to top it all off this this weighs at 3100lbs. Heck Toyota wanted to make something to pay tribute to their 80's corolla the AE86 and they did it by keeping the car true to it's origins, very minimal, bare bones handling machine.

End of rant, what do you think???

Link to video

http://vimeo.com/85836941

1979 e21 318 (sold)

1975 Inka (sold)

1983 e21 320i (sold)

1974 Polaris (sold)

1975 M42 Swap (work in progress)

End of rant, what do you think???

Here's what I think..(and I do agree with you)

Probably a nice handling mobile with all the things that new modern cars have, such as my wife's Lexus.

Nice but boring.

Not at all like an 02…..But what young person would buy one?  BMW is in the business to sell cars that are trick, have creature comforts et cetera, and market most of their cars to 30 somethings.

30 somethings are not gonna be into the seventies 2002. How many of that generation have changed a spark plug?

Edited by bmdubl02

75 2002 (atlantik) 1990 - 1993

73 2002 tii (malaga) 1994 - 2017

74 2002 tii (verona) 2023 - present

I haven't liked ANY modern BMW model for similar reasons stated above.

But I must say that there is a model that BMW released that piqued my interest and had me staring.  Finally a car that doesn't look like every other coupe on the road.

Released ONLY in 2011, and less than 3000 made for worldwide distribution, the 1 Series M has a similarity to the 02 in it's boxiness and stance. Small and relatively affordable.  If you could find a used one, I believe they are selling for the same price as new, approx $58K. 

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd/4319871819.html

Cheap for an M and as yet, not depreciating! 

Huge horsepower, only available with 6spd manual, wider fenders, and 3 color choices.  It's a shame they stopped producing it.  It's a beautiful little beast.

I believe the 1 Series M will be the collector car to have from BMW in 40 years.

Enter the 2 Series.   Looks like every other coupe on the road.  Yawn.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Released ONLY in 2011, and less than 3000 made for worldwide distribution, the 1 Series M has a similarity to the 02 in it's boxiness and stance. Small and relatively affordable.

AND, there is the 1 series M 3 door over here in Germany (where I am currently).

It is not, apparently, called a Touring, but is, IMHO, the only successor to the original Touring.

Released ONLY in 2011, and less than 3000 made for worldwide distribution, the 1 Series M has a similarity to the 02 in it's boxiness and stance. Small and relatively affordable.

AND, there is the 1 series M 3 door over here in Germany (where I am currently).

It is not, apparently, called a Touring, but is, IMHO, the only successor to the original Touring.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

This is the closest equivalent to the 2002 in the modern bmw lineup. Not visually, but in relative size and cost. Too bad both have significantly increased

Edited by gliding_serpent

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

Yea. Gotta say that with each passing year, BMW has less and less of what I would consider. My current daily driver is an 11 e91 (wagon) with a 6sp manual. This is a very hard car to find and the rarest BMW in the US. Years ago when we were thinking of buying one new, the salesman said "they didn't make them that way." I said "yes they did." He then started to argue with me. Whatever. When I went into the dealer to pick up parts I saw him. I said, "look, the impossible 3 series wagon." Whatever. I have to say the 6 series Grand Coupe M whatever is a beautiful car. But it costs more than my first house and my e91 together. Stupid. I'm glad I got one of the last normally aspirated 6's with a stick.

Till I see one, the 2 is a big disappointment.

Whatever.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

The argument about whether or not the new 2-Series pays tribute to the original 2002 could go on for some time, but what I cannot argue with is that some people at BMW apparently know what they are doing.  Five years ago I decided to "put my money where my mouth was" and bought a fair share of BMW stock at $35 a share and now it is over $111 a share.  Wish all my holdings had gone up as much.

Bob Napier

How many other 40 year old cars are prominently featured in current television/video advertising?  I'll always be happy with another 30 seconds of fame for our antiques.  Sure it would be nice if some design elements had made it to the new car but were there any in the 2002 when it came off the drawing board??  "Form" strictly followed "function" with our car and hence the shoe box "design".

I think FAQers, myself included, love being responsible for driving a cars.  Our brains manage/control the whole process but the truth is that computers can do it faster/better and are on the verge of taking complete control when drivers aren't paying attention.  Pretty amazing technology -- when it works.  But as we all know, the "Nut" behind the wheel will be a problem until self-driving cars arrive...

TR

'71 MGB - sold   '74 2002 - sold

'89 XR4Ti - sold  '94 Miata R Package - sold

'73 tii - restoration project - sold

I have a few small comments to add.  I'm of the same opinion as most of you, that the new 2 series has basically zilch in common with the best-loved traits of our 02s.

One thing I like about the commercial though, is simply seeing a beautiful 2002 get some real, significant air time!  Makes me happy to see that they're still respected enough 40 years later for something like that.

Here's my take on the crux of things though.  No use trying to fight it anymore, new BMW just is NOT old BMW, two different companies which will only continue to diverge.  Here I cite the fact that the new 1-series will be FRONT wheel drive; built on the same platform as the Minis.

So whatever that means for us 2002ers, it is what it is.  As for me, the next car to be added to my stable will be a toss-up between an E36 M3 or an FR-S/BRZ, but certainly not a 2-series.

-Carl

just wanted to add, that ;the new cars don't really appeal to me as well......but thats probably a common opinion here on this forum.

and IMO the 1M ( which I think is kinda cool), is more like a modern version of an e30 M3..boxy, M car..etc 

and as Carl states..."No use trying to fight it anymore, new BMW just is NOT old BMW, two different companies which will only continue to diverge".....

Edited by jrkoupe