• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Seen This Blasphemy

ma.jomaa

Here's what I think..(and I do agree with you)

Probably a nice handling mobile with all the things that new modern cars have, such as my wife's Lexus.

Nice but boring.

Not at all like an 02…..But what young person would buy one?  BMW is in the business to sell cars that are trick, have creature comforts et cetera, and market most of their cars to 30 somethings.

30 somethings are not gonna be into the seventies 2002. How many of that generation have changed a spark plug?

Umm Im going to have to disagree with you on that one. I'm 30 Something, and I have a 71 1600, as well as a 57 MGA and two modern bmw's to boot. I have no interest  in working on my "modern" cars other than an oil change.  The oldies though are my favorite.  And to further my point I have several friends that are my age who love working on cars and who definitly know how to change a spark plug.  Maybe we're just weird or something. 

Anyone else notice the different tag on the MT Inka tii?  Is this one for temporary purposes (possibly before the TUV inspection)?  Doesn't the "M"on the plate stand for manufacturer?

M = München/Munich. The one, two or three letter abbreviation represents the city or region where the car was registered.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Interesting topic, I don't think the new commercial is disrespectful to the 02 at all, just the fact that they are featuring a 40 year old car so prominently in the commercial shows that they are proud of the role the car plays in the BMW heritage.

To those who are saying BMW has lost its way, or the new ones don't appeal to me anymore or not as much, I agree, but also noted the guy who said my BMW stock has soared in the last few years.  The reason it has soared is because they have been very smart, marketing and maintaining the brand image created by the 2002, 3.0 CSi and 80s and 90s M cars, while creating cars that appeal more to the masses rather than just the enthusiast, i.e. bigger, plusher, more bells and whistles, pretty much the same direction the rest of the industry has gone.  They are laughing all the way to the bank as they sell more cars than ever.

I posted a while back about Car and Driver noting that the Scuburu coalition that created the BR-Z and FR-S could use the lightweight, no frills, rear wheel drive platform to create a worthy successor to the 2002, a great handlling, reasonably quick, reasonably priced, rear wheel drive, practical sporting sedan, which in my opinion is a really cool idea.

Edited by glemon

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

M = München/Munich. The one, two or three letter abbreviation represents the city or region where the car was registered.

Correct, and, and the letters are red I believe denoting (usually) a dealership/car sales place. Maybe German auto manufacturers also have red lettered plates?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I work at a BMW dealer and had the oppurtunity to drive  a 1m. Goes like stink, turns in like a go kart, and sucks the eyes out of your head under braking . It feels track ready. And the mandarin orange is gorgeous in the sunlight.

Bill

73 tii

Vancouver BC

Edited by stuck on bmw

How does the expression go?......"don't look a gift horse in the mouth". I'm all for BMW taking out ads that promote our favorite car. What's the worst that can happen.....the hobby grows along with interest in '02's. Where's the downside in that?

Edited by BrentF

How does the expression go?......"don't look a gift horse in the mouth". I'm all for BMW taking out ads that promote our favorite car. What's the worst that can happen.....the hobby grows along with interest in '02's. Where's the downside in that?

Although I like seeing the 02 in the commercial, the downside, everybody wants one, or the speculators/investors start buying them, and suddenly rust buckets are 10K and nice cars are 30K and up.

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250