• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Seen This Blasphemy

ma.jomaa

ill admit i was not instantly filled with rage when i saw a 2002 prominently featured in a bmw commercial but I did not like how the 2 series seemingly sucked the life out of the '02 when the '02s lights went dim. bmw used to pay homage to its origins... im hoping i misunderstood the meaning of the commercial. Was it meant to be a passing of the torch? ...man that would be even more of a mockery.

ill admit i was not instantly filled with rage when i saw a 2002 prominently featured in a bmw commercial but I did not like how the 2 series seemingly sucked the life out of the '02 when the '02s lights went dim. bmw used to pay homage to its origins... im hoping i misunderstood the meaning of the commercial. Was it meant to be a passing of the torch? ...man that would be even more of a mockery.

As I see it, the 02 flashed the lights, and the 2-series turned them on, and kept on. Kind of like a parent giving it´s kids the "blessing" to turn around, and face the world. A new generation, picking up the torch. The are not the same, but it is the successor of the 02. 

Ha, I pointed out the uneven trim line to my wife, to which she replied, "dork." We both agreed which of the two cars was sexier, though. Hopefully this commercial reminds folks what a cool-looking little car the 02 was/is.

Ha, I pointed out the uneven trim line to my wife, to which she replied, "dork." We both agreed which of the two cars was sexier, though. Hopefully this commercial reminds folks what a cool-looking little car the 02 was/is.

Or BMW could of made the 3 series the size of an original 3 series again, not the size of an old 5 series... I think they're OK looking cars now, but they're still too damn big!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Why can't BMW take note of what Ford did when they resurrected the mustang ,

I've wondered the same thing about a lot of other cars:  Nissan should do that with the original 240Z, and Fiat should bring back the 124 spider. 

For the bimmer, the key would be bringing back a real grille:  sloped downwards, and having the hood come to a point. 

hnichols

Here's what I think..(and I do agree with you)

Probably a nice handling mobile with all the things that new modern cars have, such as my wife's Lexus.

Nice but boring.

Not at all like an 02…..But what young person would buy one?  BMW is in the business to sell cars that are trick, have creature comforts et cetera, and market most of their cars to 30 somethings.

30 somethings are not gonna be into the seventies 2002. How many of that generation have changed a spark plug?

Ahem I beg to differ Bmdub, I am a 30 something with an 02 who services and upgrades it with me own hands.

So there is at least one exception, however I'm not sure how many of may contemporaries actively take interest.

Sadly at least in my part of the world, South Africa, classic cars are a baby boomers interest and pursuit. 

I think you are right Eric, the name of the video implies as much.

There is nothing in the 02 that could possibly pass on to the 2series, not technically, not stylistically and least of all the experience. 

April '71 2002 LHD - hard won daily driver

The Volvo 1800 comes to mind in the latest Volvo commercials........

Earl

72 Volvo 1800ES

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Either I am missing it or spent TOO much time with Jimi and listening to Purple Haze.  That being said,  I see the spot as our beloved 02 spots another buck in his territory, confronts him.  The young buck runs away in reverse with the 02 in his face,  The flashing lights say to me, "Don't make me tell you again!"  And it ends with tail tucked and hightailing home.

Now where the hell is my bong?  Help me Jimi!

Having had several track laps with an M235i (see the story in the April Roundel) I can tell you it's a blast to drive...and if you turn off the nanny electronics (which can be fully turned off, except for the ABS) you can get it to do a little trailing throttle oversteer...made me feel right at home.  And 326 hp in a 3200 lb car...that's triple an 02's horsepower but only 50% more weight.  

Funny thing, though....all the cars at the intro were paddle shifters...not a six speed in the crowd--primarily because there are so many "automotive journalists" who can't drive stick!

BTW the 02 in the commercial is the '73 tii that Mobile Tradition built from spare parts several years ago...got to drive it when it had 2500km on the odometer...drove just like a new tii!

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I too have driven the new 2er quite a lot... and it's awesome. The cars are all bigger and heavier to accommodate all of the safety systems, crumple zones etc. As mentioned above, triple the power but only 50% heavier... and I bet much much better gas mileage. I love my 2002 but I know which one I'd rather my family were in if we had an accident. (I'm another 30-something '02 owner!)

Dave

A lot of it has to do with what Mavhh just posted, safety is a huge thing with any relatively new car. Look how thin the 02's doors, and roof pillars are, not exactly up to today's crash standards. True they could have made it a bit more 02-esque but it would really look nothing like any other bmw in the lineup. Modern BMW's look all the same, and I agree the 1M was possibly the best new BMW to come out in quite a while, but BMW has become more of a status symbol for most people.

Looking at the big M cars, they are all bloated, heavy, but have you ever watched them get driven, they still look like a blast and people adore them. The current m5 has what mid 500hp? That's still moves a big car pretty darn quick.

The iDx that eurotrash posted is what I have been wishing for since I heard bmw was bringing out a 2 series. The iDx to me looks more 02 (shark nose is clearly more 02 than 510), and if it's got a decent manual trans and a bit of power to overcome it's modern heft, I would willingly jump all over it!

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

I just showed the video to my wife.  Her take on it is the 2002 is "pushing the new car to be better" (since the new "2" is traveling backwards) and that BMW has not forgotten about it's heritage.

Any commercial featuring an older BMW is great to me - especially that one with the P-car and 2002 "the decision". 

Anyone else notice the different tag on the MT Inka tii?  Is this one for temporary purposes (possibly before the TUV inspection)?  Doesn't the "M"on the plate stand for manufacturer?  I wonder why BMW didn't install trapezoid mirrors - were they temporarily unavailable at the time?

c12_0612_20z1972_bmw_2002_tiifront_.jpg

Later pictures from the Automobile Magazine feature

c12_0612_01z1972_bmw_2002_tiifront_.jpg

c12_0612_10z1972_bmw_2002_tiileft_f.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"